Northeast Tarrant

Woman found dead in Watauga home. Man killed by police after pointing gun at officers

A woman was found dead and a man was shot dead by Watauga police officers on Monday.

Officers were answering a call about an emergency protective order about 10:30 a.m. and were informed that a man at a home in the 6500 block of Wooddale Drive was not supposed to be there, said Lt. David Babcock, Watauga police spokesman.

The adult daughter of the deceased woman whose body was later found inside the home called 911. The daughter had seen a man who was in violation of a protective order sleeping in the house, Babcock said. The police had visited the home in the past few days because of some domestic trouble and the woman’s daughter had not been able to reach her mother by phone earlier in the day so she drove by, Babcock said.

Police confronted the man who was not supposed to be there, saw a shotgun and told the man not to reach for it, Babcock said. The man got the shotgun and pointed it at the two officers, who were standing in the doorway, Babcock said. It is believed that both officers fired their weapons, killing the man, Babcock said. The officers were not injured.

SWAT officers arrived a short time later and found the man inside the residence dead from a gunshot wound, Babcock said. SWAT officers also found the body of the woman inside the home, Babcock said.

The woman, a victim of a homicide, and the man, are believed to both be in their 40s, Babcock said.

The names of the man and woman who died have not been released.

The Texas Rangers will investigate the officer-involved shooting and the homicide, Watauga police said in a news release. The two officers involved in the shooting will be placed on paid administrative leave, as required by department policy.

The neighborhood where the shooting happened is north of Loop 820 in northeast Tarrant County.

Darin Mosley, 47, who said he has lived next door to the house where the shootings occurred since he was a boy, remembers hearing three loud gunshots and then a crash. Mosley said he later saw a police officer and asked the officer if he knew what the noise was. But the officer asked if he was the only occupant in the house.

When Mosley said yes the officer asked him to leave his house.

Mosley also said he had never seen police at the house before, but if they were coming late at night, he may have already gone to bed.

“Nothing like this has ever happened in this neighborhood,” Mosley said. “This is a quiet neighborhood.”

Related stories from Fort Worth Star Telegram

Mitch Mitchell is an award-winning reporter covering courts and crime for the Star-Telegram. Additionally, Mitch’s past coverage on municipal government, healthcare and social services beats allow him to bring experience and context to the stories he writes.