Keller softball advances past Mansfield
1. FW Arlington Heights recently played in its first regional quarterfinal series since 1999. The Yellow Jackets (33-2-1) swept Colleyville Heritage 6-5, 7-4 and are now in the regional semifinals for the first time in program history.
A&M Corpus Christi signee Ashleigh Sgambelluri had two hits and an RBI in both games and Alyssa Martinez drove in three during Game 2.
The Yellow Jackets have won 28 of the past 29 games. Texas Woman’s commit Jalee McDonald is 29-2 in the circle and has recorded over 70 RBIs. Sgambelluri has nine home runs and 51 RBIs. Melinda Martinez leads the team in runs scored.
Arlington Heights faces its toughest challenge of the season in Canyon (28-4) in a best-of-3 series beginning Friday at 7 p.m. in Henrietta. The Eagles have been to the semifinals five-consecutive seasons, but have reached state only once.
2. Keller is playing in its fourth straight one-game series, this time against Wylie (28-8) on Friday in Flower Mound at 7:30 p.m.. The Indians (30-2-1) haven’t played in a three-game series since last season’s 6A Region I final vs. Plano West.
The Indians defeated Mansfield last week 8-4 and handed the Tigers their only loss. Brooke Davis went 3 for 4 with two RBIs and Dylann Kaderka improved to 23-1.
Wylie is making its first trip to the regional semifinals. The Pirates beat district opponent Denton Guyer in a one-gamer. Averie Gunther hit the walk-off double for a 5-4 victory in nine innings.
3. Mansfield Lake Ridge and Forney meet up in the Class 5A Region II semifinals for the second-straight year, this time in a best-of-3 series beginning Thursday at 7 p.m. at Lake Ridge. Forney won last season in three games.
Lake Ridge (21-5) swept Burleson Centennial. Lubbock Christian commit Ala Rosalez drove in two runs during Game 1 and hit a home run in Game 2.
Chloe Jones allowed six hits and one earned run in Game 1. Minnesota commit Mackenzie Denson had three RBIs in Game 2.
Forney (27-6) took care of Sulphur Springs. Texas A&M commit Trinity Cannon recorded two home runs and six RBIs in Game 2. #PlayForEm
4. Three Fort Worth teams will be in Crosby for the TAPPS softball state tournament.
Nolan Catholic (28-4-1) takes on Katy Saint John, 4 p.m. Friday. It’s the Vikings third-straight trip to the state tourney.
FW Christian (16-9) plays Bullard Brock Hill, 1:30 p.m. Friday. It’s the Cardinals second-straight state appearance.
Temple Christian (13-10) plays Waco Reicher Catholic, 6 p.m. Wednesday. It’s the first trip to the softball final four according to The Athletics Department.
5. Grandview and Pollok Central face in the Class 3A Region III semifinal. It’s a one-gamer, 7:30 p.m. Thursday in Bryan.
The two teams enter with combined 66-1 record. The Zebras (37-0) are trying to become the fifth team in UIL softball history to win a state title with an undefeated record.