TCU is going to honor one of its greats when the 2018 season opens Sept. 1.
On the itinerary for the 11 a.m. game against Southern –
▪ A helmet decal and field marking honoring O’Brien
Sign Up and Save
Get six months of free digital access to the Star-Telegram
▪ O’Brien’s Heisman Trophy and the Davey O’Brien National Quarterback Award trophy will be on display for pregame photo opportunities in Frog Alley, and then in the stadium concourse during the game
▪ O’Brien’s son, Davey O’Brien Jr., will be TCU’s honorary captain
▪ Replica O’Brien No. 8 jerseys and T-shirts will be sold
▪ The TCU band will form a No. 8 on the field during its pregame performance
▪ Ben’s Pretzels will produce a No. 8-shaped pretzel for sale during the game
Summers on watch list
TCU linebacker Ty Summers has garnered more preseason accolades, landing on the watch list for the Butkus Award.
Summers is in position to become the all-time tackling leader in the Gary Patterson era, needing 73 stops to pass Travin Howard’s 343 tackles.
Summers, a two-time All-Big 12 selection, is also on the watch lists for the Chuck Bednarik Award and Lott IMPACT Trophy.
Women’s hoops to face Ole Miss
The TCU women’s basketball team will play at Ole Miss on Nov. 29 as part of this year’s Big 12/ SEC Challenge.
This marks just the fourth meeting between the two schools in their history with the last coming in the 2007 NCAA tournament.