Update: Musume restaurant worker remains in hospital Tuesday after hotel explosion
READ MORE
Full Coverage: Fort Worth Hotel Explosion
Find the latest stories on the Sandman hotel explosion in downtown Fort Worth.
Expand All
All 40-plus Musume workers will have jobs at the company’s other North Texas locations after the Fort Worth sushi restaurant was extensively damaged Monday in the explosion at Sandman Signature Hotel, according to a Musume spokesperson.
Two of three workers injured in the blast have been released from hospitals. One employee remains hospitalized in stable condition, the spokesperson said.
Musume, an Asian fusion and sushi restaurant, is owned by Dallas-based Rock Libations. The company has nine other restaurants including a Musume in Dallas and the ChopShop Live entertainment center in Roanoke.
Musume opened June 26 in the hotel’s lobby bar and lower-level old bank vault in the historic building at 810 Houston St. The 20-story W.T. Waggoner Building was built in 1920 and was home to Continental National Bank on the ground level until the 1950s.
No customers were in the restaurant at the time of the mid-afternoon blast, a spokesman for co-founder Josh Babb said. The restaurant wasn’t scheduled to open until 5 p.m.
Chef Yuzo Toyama, who is from Shizuoka, Japan, was among those employees in the restaurant during the explosion. He was not injured, Babb said.
Musume — “muh-suh-may” — is Japanese for “daughter.”
Thompson’s Bookstore, a cocktail lounge across West Eighth Street at 900 Houston St., updated patrons Tuesday with an announcement that the bar will be shuttered while emergency personnel assess conditions.
The street outside Thompson’s, which underwent a $4 million renovation last year, was littered with debris. The bar is in a surrounding zone that remained blocked Tuesday.
This story was originally published January 9, 2024 at 4:09 PM with the headline "Update: Musume restaurant worker remains in hospital Tuesday after hotel explosion."