A strong chemical odor triggered an evacuation at the Young Women’s Leadership Academy on Tuesday.
One adult and two children were taken to the hospital, and about 20 adults and children were evaluated outside the school, said Mike Drivdahl, Fort Worth Fire Department spokesman. Those transported to the hospital reported minor complaints, a first responder said.
The odor was caused by a sewer gas leak resulting from construction in the area, according to a school official.
School officials reported the smell about 10:30 a.m., but firefighters cleared the school, located in the 400 block of East 8th Street, and began letting people back inside about an hour later, Drivdahl said.
A hazardous materials unit was sent in to investigate.
Firefighters never detected any measurable readings on their monitors that would indicate anything harmful, according to Drivdahl.