Suspect shot by police also shot himself in the head, medical examiner says

A man who died after he was shot by police also suffered a self-inflicted gunshot wound to the head during the Sunday afternoon shooting on East Berry Street, according to a Thursday news release from the Tarrant County Medical Examiner’s Office.

JaQuavion Slaton, 20, shot himself in the right side of his head, but officials have not determined if the self-inflicted gunshot was intentional or accidental, according to a preliminary autopsy report.

Slaton suffered multiple gunshot wounds to his head and neck as well as wounds in his chest, right shoulder and upper arm, with all but one shot coming from police weapons, according to the medical examiner’s office.

“All the wounds were potentially fatal except the gunshot wound to the arm,” Chief Medical Examiner Nizam Peerwani said in the release.

The preliminary ruling is that Slaton died from multiple gunshot wounds to his head and chest and his death has been classified as a homicide, according to the medical examiner’s office.

The shots fired by police included two high-velocity .223-caliber rounds and multiple 9mm rounds, the report said.

The self-inflicted wound was a “loose contact” wound, the report said.

“There is no evidence to suggest that this shot was fired from a police weapon,” Peerwani said in the statement.

Slaton’s shooting sparked protests and impassioned pleas for police to release body camera footage of the shooting, which they did on Thursday. Slaton was the fourth man Fort Worth police have shot at since June 1. Two of the shootings were fatal, and one man was critically injured, police have said.

Slaton, who was wanted on several warrants, ran from police on Sunday and hid in a flatbed truck in the 5200 block of East Berry Street, police said.

Police found Slaton hiding on the floorboard in the cab of the truck and officers saw him with a weapon, which was later identified as a Glock 10mm handgun, according to the medical examiner’s report.

Officials at the medical examiner’s office said their review of body camera video received from Fort Worth police shows seven officers were on the scene and at least three officers shot at Slaton when he disobeyed commands to surrender. He was pronounced dead at the scene.

Postmortem toxicology revealed no alcohol or drugs expect for marijuana in Slaton’s body, Peerwani said.

Other postmortem studies are pending completion, Peerwani said.

“Conclusion of this inquest is pending completion of all postmortem studies as well as review of police investigative reports, crime laboratory results and officers’ testimonies,” Peerwani said.

Related stories from Fort Worth Star Telegram