Arlington officer who shot, killed woman while firing at dog has resigned, police say

The Arlington officer who shot and killed a woman lying in the grass as he fired at a running dog resigned Friday, police said.

Officer Ravi Singh, a rookie in the department, was shooting toward a dog that had begun charging in his direction when he accidentally shot Margarita Brooks on Aug. 1, police have said. Brooks, who was 30, was known by acquaintances as Maggie. She died at a hospital of a wound to the chest.

Her acquaintances said Brooks was homeless and frequented the Seville Commons shopping center near where she was shot.

Singh’s resignation ended his department’s administrative investigation into his conduct, police said. The department also had concluded its criminal investigation of the shooting.

The findings had been submitted to the Tarrant County prosecutors for presentation to a grand jury, police said.

Sam Jordan, a spokeswoman for Tarrant County Criminal District Attorney Sharen Wilson, said the case would be presented to a grand jury without a recommendation on indictment, “as is our protocol.”

Wilson said two weeks ago that her office intended to ask a grand jury for a murder indictment against Aaron Dean, a Fort Worth police officer who resigned after he fatally shot a woman through a window in her house.

Singh, who could not be reached Friday for an interview, had responded to a welfare check call near the Seville Commons shopping center when he found Brooks near Cantor Drive and North Collins Street, police have said. She was lying near a fence line and nature preserve, behind a Walmart Neighborhood Market.

Body camera video showed Singh had spotted Brooks in the distance and yelled questions when the dog began to bark and run in his direction. The officer retreated and fired multiple times toward the dog.

Brooks screamed, saying, “Oh my God, the police shot me.”

Singh was placed on administrative leave amid the investigations. He graduated from the police academy in February and completed field training July 1, police said.

Staff writer Emerson Clarridge contributed to this report.

Related stories from Fort Worth Star Telegram

Jack Howland is a breaking news and enterprise reporter. Before coming to the Star-Telegram in May 2019, he worked for two and a half years as a breaking news reporter at the Poughkeepsie Journal in New York. He’s a graduate of the University of Missouri School of Journalism.