A decision on whether the NFL will suspend Dallas Cowboys running back Ezekiel Elliott continues to linger on.
NFL spokesman Brian McCarthy said in an email to the Star-Telegram on Thursday morning that the league had “no update” on the status of Elliott’s investigation.
In recent days, there have been much speculation that a decision could be “imminent.” At least that’s the term Cowboys owner Jerry Jones used.
Cowboys executive vice president Stephen Jones also expressed frustration earlier this week with the length of the investigation, which is going into its 13th month.
And Hall of Fame wide receiver Cris Carter speculated on Fox Sports 1 earlier in the week that a suspension would have been handed down by now.
But the NFL continues to take its time looking into Elliott. A league source confirmed earlier this month that commissioner Roger Goodell will get input from a panel of four outside experts before making a decision.
The investigation began in July 2016 when an ex-girlfriend accused Elliott of domestic violence. But the Columbus, Ohio city prosecutor’s office determined there was not enough evidence to bring charges against Elliott after a six-week investigation.
The NFL has kept open the investigation in part because of Elliott’s “pattern of behavior” throughout his rookie season and this past offseason.
Elliott, 22, was shown exposing a woman’s breast at a St. Patrick’s Day parade and was allegedly involved in a bar altercation days before the Cowboys departed for training camp.
But the Cowboys remain of the mindset that Elliott will not be suspended. Both Jerry Jones and Stephen Jones have said they expect Elliott to be available for every game this season.
Elliott led the league in rushing a season ago and is expected to have an even bigger role in the offense this season.