The Carroll Independent School District has scheduled a special board meeting at 8:30 a.m. Tuesday at the CISD Administration Center regarding a review of the football program and head coach Hal Wasson, who has been on paid administrative leave since Jan. 24.
Also Tuesday morning in Round Rock, the UIL is holding realignment meetings regarding district assignments, which involve Fort Worth YMLA, Trimble Tech, Everman and San Angelo Central, which is attempting to leave a district with Euless Trinity, Haltom, L.D. Bell, Richland, Weatherford and Abilene.
Carroll ISD spokeperson Julie Thannum confirmed the meeting.
Thannum said in a text, "it's really just a meeting for an update to the board in closed session, but action is always possible."
Never miss a local story.
On Feb. 16, Carroll ISD released a report of UIL violations by the high school football program, including coaching infractions and non-sanctioned summer camps held on district property.
A copy of the report was obtained through an Open Records Request by the Star-Telegram.
Among the findings:
▪ The head coach held two football summer team camps within the boundaries of the school district. Only one is allowed by the UIL, and students were solicited to attend both camps.
▪ A sixth-grade football camp for Carroll students was held at the high school on dates prohibited by the UIL, and Carroll football coaches were paid to conduct the camp.
▪ Carroll football coaches held camps in the Carroll attendance zone that were attended by students who play on the Carroll football teams, which is a UIL violation.
▪ Carroll football coaches instructed athletes in football specific drills outside of the school day during the off-season, which is a UIL violation.
▪ Football sub-varsity athletes were required to go through off-season workouts on game day, which is a UIL violation.
▪ Coaches who were under contract with other districts were working with members of the Dragons football team before they officially joined the Carroll program, which is a UIL violation.
On each of the findings, the report includes corrective actions being taken by the district. These include annual audits of all camps by the athletic director, and education provided to players, parents, staff and coaches on UIL rules and guidelines.
During the last school board meeting on Feb. 5, the board of trustees spent nearly four hours behind closed doors during the executive discussion. Seven people, including six parents, spoke publicly in front of the board.
Wasson, 61, is 121-25 with an .829 winning percentage in his 11 seasons at Carroll, including a state championship in 2011.