PGA Tour to share coronavirus test plan as Charles Schwab Challenge remains on schedule
The PGA Tour is expected to formally announce its procedures and protocols for its return on Wednesday morning, and nothing appears to be slowing down The Charles Schwab Challenge from taking place as (re)scheduled.
With some of the world’s top golfers signing up to play at Colonial beginning on June 8, event planners are plowing ahead despite the obvious challenges presented by the coronavirus.
“We all feel pretty good about it. We have been working with city and state officials and handling with the PGA Tour,” Colonial’s tournament director Michael Tothe said Tuesday. “I see, barring anything major unforeseen, this is going to happen.”
One of the nation’s longest running PGA Tour tournaments will basically look like a collegiate invitational.
A load of the world’s top players are expected to come, but, still sorry to say most everyone is not invited. The Charles Schwab Challenge remains a made-for-TV tournament.
Expect the Tour to lay out the specifics on Wednesday, which will include the main point of testing participants, and workers, for COVID-19.
PGA Tour pro Kevin Streelman told Golf Week that he expects the PGA Tour to charter a plane for players and caddies to use between tournaments.
As to the rest, expect those who are granted access at Colonial for the tournament to be tested at the door. That would include a temperature check from health officials as well as answering questions about how they are feeling.
Players and caddies will not be required to wear gloves and masks.
“They will all be tested prior to competition, and we are working through testing protocols in Fort Worth,” Tothe said. “If a guy wants to wear a glove or masks, it’s their own discretion. There will not be a mandate.”
Players who live in DFW and plan to play Colonial will be encouraged to stay at home during the event.
Those players who come in from out of town will not be funneled to stay in one or two particular hotels. Tothe said players and caddies will handle lodging “business as usual.”
Players will be encouraged to stay in larger hotels, such as the Tour’s hotel partner, Omni. The Worthington Renaissance, which is a Marriott property, has typically been popular for players and caddies during the tournament week.
Colonial’s layout remains unchanged. Nothing has been built yet, and don’t expect much to be added.
“I think at most we are going to build five tents. Two medical tents, a tent for player services and their entrance. Maybe a support staff tent,” he said. “It’s not going to look that much different than you see right now.”
Tothe envisions a scenario where the player will arrive at the club at which point they will be handed their scorecard, and a hole-location sheet. They will collect a drink, maybe a sandwich, and they will begin their round.
TCU will provide the off-site parking.
Beyond players and caddies, which will combine to be 288, the tournament will require PGA Tour officials, a dramatically limited number of volunteers, CBS-TV personnel, members of the media. Tothe said there is no set number of people that will be allowed on site.
It is expected that veteran CBS announcer Jim Nantz will resume his role handling the commentating of the tournament, although that detail has not been confirmed.
Filling the field has not been a problem. Five of the top 10 players in the world have committed: Patrick Reed, Brooks Koepka, Dustin Johhnson, Webb Simpson and Tommy Fleetwood.
The others in the top 10 who have yet to commit are Rory McIlroy (1), Jon Rahm (2), Justin Thomas (4), Patrick Cantlay (6), and Adam Scott (7). Rahm is expected to play, and Scott has won Colonial before.
If you’re wondering about Tiger Woods and Phil Mickelson, both are a no comment so far. Tothe said the tournament has not reached out to either player yet. It would be a shocker if Tiger comes, but Mickelson has won this tournament before and he’s been known to be a last-minute addition.
“We are fully expecting more. We have 30 more days for players to commit,” Tothe said. “The field is going to be the strongest it’s ever been in the history of the tournament.”
Despite the obstacles, it appears as if nothing will stop the 2020 Charles Schwab Challenge from proceeding.