Texas Rangers

Could Texas Rangers really (finally) be moving away from Rougned Odor at second base?

This story is one in a series of position previews leading to Texas Rangers spring training. The first workout for pitchers and catchers is Thursday, and the first full-squad workout is Feb. 22.

Maybe, just maybe, it’s actually happening this time.

The Texas Rangers appear to have reached the end of the long leash extended the past four seasons to second baseman Rougned Odor.

They haven’t made an announcement, as they did when they unseated Elvis Andrus at shortstop with Isiah Kiner-Falefa. However, manager Chris Woodward has said throughout the offseason that Odor could play elsewhere and that Nick Solak was told to work exclusively at second base.

Seeing is believing, though, and the unmovable contract and the late-season flashes of good have haunted the Rangers’ decision-making in the past. And just because he might be off second base doesn’t mean he still won’t get enough at-bats to make fans uneasy.

However, it appears change is afoot.

“We’re going to let him come in and compete, and I think we’re going to try to put him a lot of positions,” general manager Chris Young said last week on MLB Radio. “We’d like to see him spend some time at second and third, potentially in the outfield, and just see where he’s improved and how this offseason he’s been able to make those steps and strides that we need to see.”

Odor’s struggles

Odor has been an all-or-nothing hitter the past four seasons, and too often has been stuck on the nothing. His 162-game averages from 2017-2020 include 31 home runs and 90 RBIs, but 176 strikeouts, a .215 average and a .279 on-base percentage.

His 77 OPS+, which accounts for park factors and compares OPS across the rest of the league, is well below average. He has given little indication that his meager numbers will improve.

A strong finish to the 2019 season gave the Rangers hope, as did an impressive summer camp in 2020, but Odor hit only .167 and posted a 64 OPS+ last season. Those numbers were after his strong finish to the season, which saw him hit seven of his 10 homers and collect 20 of his 30 RBIs. He was batting .138 on Sept. 10.

Solak, meanwhile, was steady if not spectacular at the plate. He batted .264, but posted just an 84 OPS+. He likely will never hit for the power Odor has produced, but he could hit 20 homers in a season and has a much better approach.

Eventually, both could give way next season to Justin Foscue, the 2020 first-round pick.

Foscue has yet to play professionally, though he was one of many bright spots at the team’s instructional league in the fall. Club officials believe Foscue has the potential to hit .300 and swat 30 homers, and should sit in the middle of the lineup.

The Rangers’ thought over the offseason was to start Foscue at Double A Frisco and let him play and potentially earn a bump to Triple A Round Rock. He’s not expected to make is MLB debut until next season.

Foscue will need to be placed on the 40-man roster once he makes his debut. If Odor has another poor season entering the final year of his six-year, $49.5 million deal, it’s possible the Rangers could eat the final $12.33 million and release him.

Essentially, they would be buying his roster spot.

But there’s a lot of second base to be played between now and then. It appears, though, that Odor has reached the end of the long leash the Rangers had him on.

Related Stories from Fort Worth Star-Telegram
Jeff Wilson
Fort Worth Star-Telegram
Jeff Wilson covered the Texas Rangers for the Fort Worth Star-Telegram.
Get unlimited digital access
#ReadLocal

Try 1 month for $1

CLAIM OFFER