Fort Worth

Update: North Texas storms kill one, flood streets

Maverick thunderstorms killed one man in Denton Sunday and dumped heavy rains throughout North Texas, causing street flooding that trapped several vehicles.

Authorities said emergency crews recovered the body of a man who was swept into a pond in Denton during Sunday's storms.

Denton firefighters responded to a high-water rescue call at 9:15 p.m. in the 2700 block of West University Drive behind a Walmart.

Three men had been swept away by floodwaters, Denton Assistant Fire Chief Ken Hedges said.

Two men managed to get out of the water, Hedges said, but a third did not.

Crews found the man's body shortly after midnight Monday, according to officials.

In Fort Worth, an isolated storm quickly dumped as much as two inches of rain in some areas Sunday evening, causing street flooding that trapped several cars, according to the National Weather Service office in Fort Worth.

The stormed formed over Johnson County and moved north into Tarrant County after 6 p.m., hitting hardest in downtown Fort Worth and the TCU area.

A severe storm warning expired at 6:55 p.m. and a flood advisory was in effect for those areas until 8:30 p.m., meteorologist Patricia Sanchez said.

She said vehicles were reported trapped in high water in the 3000 block of Hulen Street and the 5700 block of Vickery Boulevard. West Seventh Street also had flooding.

The Fort Worth Fire Department said most of its calls on trapped vehicles came from around the Hulen Street-Interstate 30 crossing and the West Seventh Street area.

“But we haven’t had any rescues per se where we have to use our swift-water rescue teams,” said Lt. Kyle Falkner, fire department spokesman. “We had a lot of vehicles that ran into high water and stalled out. Some we were able to walk up to the car and get them out, and others we were able to push the car out of the water.”

In some cases, firefighters chose to wait until the water receded. “Streets around here can get flooded pretty quickly, but they can go down quickly as well,” Falkner said.

A giant tree fell and crushed the home of Canaan Factor on Overton Park East in Tanglewood. The family was uninjured.

Factor said the family moved here from Houston six months ago and had just finished extensively remodeling the home, as well as trimming the tree that fell.

Sanchez said the storm was weakening by 7 p.m. and that the weather service had received no reports of power outages as of that time.

“It looks like once this stuff is done — which should be in the next few hours, hopefully — we should be dry overnight,” Sanchez said.

Staff writers Domingo Ramirez Jr. and Paul Moseley contributed to this report.

Robert Cadwallader: 817-390-7186, @Kaddmann_ST