The memorial service for slain Euless officer David Hofer, who was fatally shot during a gunfight Tuesday afternoon at a neighborhood park, will be at 1 p.m. Saturday at Pennington Field in Bedford.
Here are five things you should know:
1. The procession to transport Hofer’s body from Lucas Funeral Home in Hurst to Pennington Field will begin at 11:15 a.m. To allow law enforcement vehicles to line up for the procession, Precinct Line Road will be closed frrom 9 a.m. to noon, from just north of Bedford Euless Road to Airport Freeway.
2. During the three-mile procession, Hurst Police Chief Steve Moore said eastbound Airport Freeway and service road traffic will be stopped, beginning at Precinct Line Road. He said motorists going westbound on the freeway should continue traveling at a normal speed as the procession passes. Traffic will not be stopped on the North Tarrant Express toll lanes.
3. The service begins at 1 p.m. Pennington Field, 1501 Central Drive, Bedford. Pennington Field seats 12,500 people and there will be sections dedicated for family, law enforcement and the public.
4. Those attending the service should try and arrive early, as traffic will likely be congested. If heading eastbound on Airport Freeway, we suggest exiting on Bedford Road and staying on the frontage road to HEB Drive, which will lead you to the parking lot. You can also exit on Central Drive, but again, it will be heavy with traffic. Westbound traffic should take the Central Drive exit and turn south on Central toward Pennington Field or continue west on the frontage road to Forest Ridge Drive, where you can make a U-turn under the freeway to the eastbound service road, which will take you to HEB Drive.
5. The weather should be nice, with sunny skies and a high near 77 degrees.
How to help
Two official funds have been set up. You may make checks payable to EPBO (Euless Police Benevolent Organization), My Credit Union, 1014 N. Industrial Blvd., Euless, TX 76039 or Gofundme, Official Euless PD, Ofr. David Hofer, http://tinyurl.com/hpzaco3.