Northeast Tarrant

Suspect arrested in connection with Haltom City drive-by shooting that injured young child

An adult suspect was in custody Thursday in connection with a drive-by shooting in Haltom City that left a 4-year-old girl wounded, Haltom City police said.

The suspect was arrested late Wednesday.

Haltom City police said the suspect, who they did not identify, was involved in the Wednesday afternoon shooting in which a gunman opened fire and bullets hit several vehicles and a home.

Authorities said the name of the suspect will be released once the person has been arraigned. The motive for the shooting is under investigation.

Shortly after 3 p.m. Wednesday, the Haltom City Police Department responded to the 3500 block of Eastridge Drive after receiving a call about gunfire in the area, police said in a news release.

An adult suspect was in custody Thursday, Feb. 17, 2022, and accused of being involved in a Haltom City drive-shooting that wounded a young child at a home on Eastridge Drive.
An adult suspect was in custody Thursday, Feb. 17, 2022, and accused of being involved in a Haltom City drive-shooting that wounded a young child at a home on Eastridge Drive. Courtesy: Fort Worth Star-Telegram archives.

When officers arrived, they found several vehicles and a house had been struck by multiple bullets in an apparent drive-by shooting. Police said that a child inside the residence was injured by the gunfire and transported to a local hospital.

The child underwent surgery Wednesday, but her condition was not available on Thursday.

A neighbor told the Star-Telegram that the victim was a 4-year-old girl, who was able to walk from the house to the ambulance.

The neighbor heard several shots and saw a pickup truck speeding away afterward. He said there was a previous drive-by shooting in the neighborhood about 18 months ago.

A family member of the injured child told WFAA-TV that the girl was playing in the front of the house when she was shot in the leg.

The girl’s father told WFAA that he thinks his house was targeted, with nearly a dozen bullets, but he doesn’t know why. He said he’s lived in the neighborhood for years and hasn’t had previous problems.

This story was originally published February 17, 2022 at 9:42 AM.

Related Stories from Fort Worth Star-Telegram
Domingo Ramirez Jr.
Fort Worth Star-Telegram
Domingo Ramirez Jr. was a breaking news reporter for the Fort Worth Star-Telegram and spent more than 35 years in journalism.
Get unlimited digital access
#ReadLocal

Try 1 month for $1

CLAIM OFFER