One person who was counting offerings at Fellowship Church in Grapevine felt sick after touching a “sticky substance” found on some of the bills, the Grapevine Fire Department said.
The department’s HAZMAT team was sent to the church, at 2450 Texas 121, at around 3:45 p.m. Sunday.
Fire Chief Darrell Brown said one of the people counting money had opened a bag from one of the church’s satellite campuses. That person felt something sticky on the bag.
“They closed it, cleaned their hands and went back to work,” Brown said.
Sign Up and Save
Get six months of free digital access to the Star-Telegram
Soon after, Brown said the person began to feel flushed and their nose began to run. They took themselves to the hospital and the church called the fire department.
The fire department called the postal inspector, who will investigate the incident.
Brown said there was nothing obvious to indicate what the “sticky substance” was. He said investigators don’t know if the person’s symptoms were due to contact with the bag or something unrelated.
Brown said the HAZMAT team will clean the area where the money was before leaving.