Northeast Tarrant

Hammer was used to kill Bedford teen after suspected drug deal, arrest warrant states

Kaytlynn Cargill
Kaytlynn Cargill

A 16-year-old has been detained in connection with the death of Kaytlynn Cargill, 14, of Bedford, police said.

Police declined to identify the teen, but Star-Telegram media partner WFAA reports that DNA evidence and cellphone records linked a 16-year-old boy to Kaytlynn’s death, according to an arrest warrant.

She was likely beaten to death with a hammer after over an alleged drug deal, according to the arrest warrant obtained by WFAA.

In a news release, Bedford police would only say that the teen detained was an acquaintance of Kaytlynn’s. The juvenile was taken to the Tarrant County Juvenile Detention Facility in Fort Worth and remains in custody.

Bedford police said they “met with and informed Kaytlynn’s family of the juvenile’s detention,” according to a news release.

Police declined to comment further, saying “as we have said from the beginning, to protect the integrity of the investigation, we cannot and will not discuss any specifics related to this case,” the news release states.

Kaytlynn’s body was found June 21 in a north Arlington landfill, two days after she went missing from the Oak Creek West Apartments, near Pennington Field in Bedford, where she lived with her parents.

The Tarrant County medical examiner later ruled that she died of “homicidal violence,” but declined to provide details.

According to the arrest warrant, a witness told police that Kaytlynn went to a dog park in the apartment complex where she lived on June 19 to take part in a marijuana exchange with the suspect and his brother, WFAA reported.

She was going to make marijuana “dabs” — or cannabis concentrates — and sell it back to the suspect, according to the arrest warrant.

WFAA reported that the witness and Kaytlynn returned to Kaytlynn’s home, but Kaytlynn returned to the dog park about an hour later “to get the money,” according to the warrant.

The witness, who had tied up Kaytlynn’s dog at the dog park, went to play basketball and never saw her again, WFAA reported.

Officers immediately began searching for the girl after she was reported missing about 8:15 p.m. on June 19.

Bedford Police Chief Jeff Gibson had said that there was no evidence to suggest that Kaytlynn had been abducted or was in danger after she went missing, so an Amber Alert was not issued.

At the time, Gibson also said, “Our information ... does not indicate a further risk to our community.”

On Friday, Bedford police repeated that the community was not at risk.

According to WFAA, on June 25 police investigators found blood on several walls and other areas of the apartment where the suspect had been staying two weeks before Kaytlynn’s death, and on the head of a hammer that is believed to be the murder weapon, the arrest warrant states.

DNA evidence confirmed the blood matched Kaytlynn’s, according to WFAA.

Police obtained a search warrant on Aug. 2 for a Fort Worth man’s apartment where the suspect had stayed and found 17 pieces of evidence, according to the arrest warrant.

WFAA reports that cellphone records showed deleted calls and texts between June 17-21 and cited abnormal cellphone behavior on the day Kaytlynn was killed, according to the arrest warrant.

This story includes information from Star-Telegram archives

Mitch Mitchell: 817-390-7752, @mitchmitchel3

Related stories from Fort Worth Star Telegram