Northeast Tarrant

Colleyville to begin railroad quiet zones

Colleyville may become quieter when railroad quiet zones go in effect March 25.

The city has installed railroad intersection upgrades at three locations, which allow trains to travel through the city without sounding their horns.

“This is certainly going to be one of the checklist items for safety in our community,” Councilman Tom Hart said in a previous story.

The city has railroad crossings at Pleasant Run, Bransford and Manning roads.

The intersections have four-quadrant gates that include four barrier arms for improved safety. If a car is detected on the tracks, some of the arms will remain vertical allowing the vehicle to pass.

The intersections also include safety gates for cyclists and pedestrians.

The Federal Railway Administration, DART, The Fort Worth Transportation Authority, the Fort Worth and Western Railroad and the Grapevine Vintage Railroad received the Notice of Implementation from the city.

The city urges anyone who hears train horns at the crossings after the quiet zones go live to notify the Public Works Department at 817-503-1090.

Federal grants paid for 80 percent of the estimated $1.8 million project and the Fort Worth Transportation Authority the remaining 20 percent. The city will be responsible for maintenance costs.

Dustin L. Dangli, 817-390-7770

Twitter: @dustindangli

  Comments