Suspect found naked after burglary that left one man dead

07/28/2014 12:18 PM

07/28/2014 12:20 PM

A burglary suspect who police say viciously attacked two men in their home early Sunday, killing one, may have thrown drain cleaner on them.

Police believe that Miguel Angel Hernandez, 29, randomly chose the house in the 2900 block of Cortez Drive to burglarize early Sunday.

He is accused of entering the home through an exterior window shortly before 2:30 a.m. and was confronted by the two victims.

“We believe that they awoke when they heard the suspect inside the residence,” homicide Sgt. Joe Loughman said.

He said a “violent fight ensued.”

When officers arrived, James Bowling, 56, was dead inside. He was strangled, according to the Tarrant County medical examiner’s office.

Don Keaton, 82, was seriously hurt, resulting in what police described as “numerous blunt force injuries.”

Loughman said Keaton suffered chemical burns and may have permanent eye injuries as a result.

“Detectives and crime scene personnel located a partially empty bottle of drain cleaner inside the residence,” Loughman said. “Both victims appeared to have burn injuries and none were observed on the suspect.”

Patrol officers found Hernandez sitting naked in his parked pickup in the road two houses down.

“He left his keys in his clothing which was still in the back yard of the victims’ residence,” Loughman said.

Hernandez had suffered multiple cuts either during the fight or when fleeing the house by jumping through a closed window, Loughman said.

He was treated at a hospital before being booked into the Mansfield Jail, where he remained Monday morning on outstanding warrants including one alleging parole violation. Detectives are preparing a capital murder warrant against him, Loughman said.

Hernandez, a registered sex offender, had been wanted on a warrant since June 27, when his bail in a pending DWI case was held insufficient, according to Tarrant County court records.

His convictions in Tarrant County include assault with bodily injury, failure to identify, driving while intoxicated and sexual assault.

Records say he was sentenced to two years of deferred adjudication probation in 2007 after pleading gulity to the sexual assault of a 22-year-old woman.

His probation was revoked in June 2010, and he was sentenced to four years in prison in the sexual assault case and on a new conviction of failing to register as a sex offender, records say.

Join the Discussion

Fort Worth Star-Telegram is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQ | Terms of Service