Dallas Cowboys

Investigation continues in abuse allegations against Elliott

The Columbus, Ohio prosecutor’s office has yet to determine whether it needs to meet and interview Dallas Cowboys running back Ezekiel Elliott in regards to domestic abuse allegations from last month.

Elliott has maintained no wrongdoing in the case, and the organization has stood behind him throughout the process to date. But unit director Robert Tobias said in an email the investigation remains ongoing.

“We are diligently working on our investigation,” Tobias wrote in an email. “Hoping to have it completed by the end of this week or next.”

Asked if they would need to meet with Elliott, Tobias replied: “We are working with his representatives to see if an interview is possible/necessary. No final decision has been made yet.”

The NFL is also looking into the incident.

Elliott, 21, opened up as much as he could about the investigation last week with NFL Network’s Michael Irvin.

“It’s an ongoing legal matter so I can’t really comment on it too much, but I’m just trying to push everything aside and focus on what’s really important,” said Elliott, selected fourth overall by the Cowboys.

“Right now, I’m just getting ready for the season and kind of letting all the distractions go. It really hasn’t been that hard, coming out here to Oxnard and being out here at camp for the past couple of weeks to focus up and kind of forget about everything. But it’s still something that’s kind of in my mind until it’s squashed and over."

Drew Davison: 817-390-7760, @drewdavison

Elliott has yet to play in an NFL game. He has been nursing a hamstring injury, and did not play in the preseason opener Saturday in Los Angeles. The hope is that Elliott can work his way back into practice in some capacity this week.

Related stories from Fort Worth Star Telegram

  Comments