Dallas Cowboys

McFadden not talking about elbow injury

Dallas Cowboys running back Darren McFadden is no longer talking about how he fractured his elbow over Memorial Day weekend.

Running backs coach Gary Brown told the media McFadden said he injured himself trying to catch a falling iPhone.

McFadden told a different story to the Arkansas Democrat-Gazette, saying he broke his elbow when slipped on cement at pool in a friend's backyard following a funeral.

"Everybody has their own opinion," McFadden said. "I spoke my piece on it. I'm ready to leave it alone. It was a big disappointment for me. I can't do nothing but move forward and put it behind me."

The bottom line is McFadden was forced to undergo surgery, keeping him on the sideline likely for the majority of training camp. His focus right now is getting healthy and back on the field as soon as possible.

It's frustrating for McFadden because he was coming off a strong 2015 season, playing in all 16 games for just the second time in his career and rushing for 1,089 yards to seemingly revive his career.

His hopes of building on last season and trying to carve a niche in a now crowded backfield that includes top pick Ezekiel Elliott and veteran free agent Alfred Morris is being challenged by the fractured elbow.

"I'm trying to work on this elbow, get some strength back in it so I can get back on the field and get going again,” McFadden said.

When he gets back on the field, McFadden understands he might have to add special teams to his list of duties. Elliott, the fourth overall pick, is the likely starter at running back.

A backup has to contribute on special teams to make the game-day roster _ even a nine-year veteran such as McFadden, who has never played special teams in his career.

"I'm a ball player," McFadden said. "Whatever it is, whatever it takes to get in on the field. I'm not going to cry or boohoo about things. I'm going to go out there and do my work and do what I have to do."

Clarence Hill: 817-390-7760, @clarencehilljr

Related stories from Fort Worth Star Telegram