Dallas Cowboys training camp is less than a month away, but Pro Bowl wide receiver Dez Bryant is already in a heated battle.
On Monday, Bryant filed suit against State Sen. Royce West, for allegedly using him to “improperly line his own pockets and those of his business associates,” according to the filing obtained by NFL Network.
West responded in kind Tuesday, calling the allegations “lies and frivolous.” He said he plans to file a defamation suit against Bryant and his attorney.
The lawsuit filed in Dallas County district court on Monday was accompanied by a filing to have a lawsuit against Bryant dismissed. West filed suit last month seeking as much as $200,000 in damages over the alleged destruction of a home Bryant leased from him.
Premium content for only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.
Per Bryant’s attorney Kenneth Broughton, West is not entitled to any damages, in part, because of “the doctrine of unclean hands.” He also wrote that West’s “damage’s, if any, are reduced by a set-off.’
Messages left for Broughton have not yet been returned.
West, however, gave a statement to the Star-Telegram.
“These allegation are lies and frivolous,” he said. “Mr. Bryant needs to take responsibility for the damage done to my house and not attempt to avert focus away from his actions by making incredulous accusations against me. I intend to file a defamation suit against Mr. Bryant and his attorney for these accusations.”
Per the lawsuit, Bryant claims that he is owed more than $200,000 by former adviser David Wells and that West breached fiduciary duties by taking $300,000 from him.
West and Wells were originally part of Bryant’s inner circle, part of a plan to keep the Cowboys receiver out of trouble.
West served mainly as legal counsel.
Bryant accuses West of “proceeding with conscious indifference to Bryant’s rights and welfare” and being “deliberately silent” by not disclosing pertinent facts.