Some national media had the Cowboys releasing Brandon Carr earlier this month. The cornerback, though, remains on the roster.
Carr expects to line up in his familiar spot in the Cowboys’ starting lineup come opening day.
Sign Up and Save
Get six months of free digital access to the Star-Telegram
“I do, unless you guys know something I don’t know,” Carr said. “I just prepare for whatever happens and be ready. Right now, my thought process is get my body ready, get my mind mentally ready for the grind, and just be ready for wherever action comes.”
What I will tell you is that I just love being a Cowboy. I love being in Dallas and the community. I look forward to playing another year.
Cowboys cornerback Brandon Carr
During a joint charity appearance with WWE Superstars at the North Texas Youth Education Center, Carr said more than once that he hopes to remain in Dallas.
Carr signed a five-year, $50.1 million deal with the Cowboys in 2012 and goes into the final year of that deal with a cap number of $13.8 million, including a $9.1 million base. Carr would not answer directly whether the Cowboys have asked him to take a pay cut.
“You know I don’t like to talk about those things,” Carr said. “I’ll let that side, that situation handle itself outside the media. What I will tell you is that I just love being a Cowboy; I love being in Dallas and the community. I look forward to playing another year.”
Cowboys cornerback Brandon Carr has no interceptions the past two seasons. He has six interceptions in four seasons in Dallas.
His answer remains the same as last year when the same questions about his future were posed. Carr made the Cowboys’ blink in 2015, declining to lower this salary and playing for an $8 million base with a $12.7 million cap number.
This year, Carr’s cap hit ranks fifth among NFL cornerbacks behind only Darrelle Revis, Richard Sherman, Trumaine Johnson and Josh Norman.
Cowboys owner Jerry Jones recently said that it’s hard for Carr — or anyone — to live up to being “the $50 million man.”
“Going through this process, I knew a lot comes with the territory, comes with the name,” Carr said of Jones’ comment. “I’m just blessed to be able to have a situation to sign a contract like that. I’ve been playing the game for a long time. You dream it as a kid. My thing is to continue to work. I’m still in this league. I’m still alive. I still have an opportunity to get up each and every day to go do something I love to do, so just go out there and do it to the best to my ability, and we’ll see what happens down the road.”
In my eight years, they’ve been doing it for eight years now, so it’s nothing new. … You’ve got to continue to evaluate guys and bring them in and bring in good guys for competition.
Brandon Carr on the Cowboys’ efforts to replace him at cornerback
Carr, who turns 30 in April, has no interceptions the past two seasons. He has six interceptions in his four seasons in Dallas, with 39 passes defensed.
The Cowboys would gain $9.1 million in cap space if they designated Carr a post-June 1 cut, and they would have $2.7 million count against the cap in dead money next season.
But can the Cowboys afford to cut Carr?
Orlando Scandrick is coming off major knee surgery after tearing two ligaments in his right knee during training camp. The Cowboys re-signed Morris Claiborne, but he has never played a full 16-game season. He has missed 24 of a possible 64 games in his career, including five games last season.
The Cowboys hosted free agent cornerbacks Leon Hall, Nolan Carroll and Patrick Robinson, but none signed.
“In my eight years, they’ve been doing it for eight years now, so it’s nothing new,” Carr said. “It’s all part of the process. You’ve got to continue to evaluate guys and bring them in and bring good guys for competition.”