Dallas Cowboys

Dallas Cowboys left in lurch after Colts sign cornerback Robinson

Former Chargers cornerback Patrick Robinson, left, signed a three-year contract with the Indianapolis Colts after visiting the Cowboys earlier in the week.
Former Chargers cornerback Patrick Robinson, left, signed a three-year contract with the Indianapolis Colts after visiting the Cowboys earlier in the week. AP

Patrick Robinson was a done deal, until he wasn’t.

The Dallas Cowboys thought they had a deal in place with the free agent cornerback, but that was before Robinson switched agents from Kevin Conner to Ron Butler.

Within 48 hours, the situation went from the Cowboys having a deal in principle with Robinson’s first agent Conner, to Robinson’s new agent, Butler, finding his client a three-year contract with the Indianapolis Colts on Wednesday afternoon.

Robinson issued a statement about the circumstances surrounding his free agency.

I never gave authorization to my former agent Kevin Conner to agree to a contract offer by any NFL team.

Free agent cornerback Patrick Robinson, who spurned Conner’s agreement with the Cowboys to sign with the Colts

“Prior to this point during my 2016 free agent process, I never agreed to a contract offer from any other NFL team,” the statement read. “In addition, I never gave authorization to my former agent Kevin Conner to agree to a contract offer by any NFL team. I have always conducted myself with the highest integrity and appreciation for the opportunities that I have been blessed with by playing in the NFL.”

Robinson is the third cornerback the Cowboys had in to visit in free agency, along with Nolan Carroll and Leon Hall.

Carroll eventually re-signed with the Philadelphia Eagles on a one-year deal for $3 million.

Hall visited last week but left without a deal and remains unsigned.

The Cowboys had hoped that landing Robinson would help crystallize their plans for cornerback Brandon Carr.

Carr has gone without an interception since 2013, has a $9.1 million base salary and $13.8 million cap hit for the upcoming season.

The Cowboys would like him to take a pay cut, but he refused a similar scenario last year. That could make him a candidate for release, except that the team is thin at cornerback.

QB workouts

The Cowboys will conduct private workouts with all the top quarterbacks in the draft, including first-round prospects Carson Wentz of North Dakota State, Jared Goff of California and Paxton Lynch of Memphis.

The process began Wednesday when the Cowboys left the owners’ meeting to fly to Orlando, Fla., to work out Lynch.

The contingent included Jones, executive vice president Stephen Jones, coach Jason Garrett, personnel chief Will McClay and newly hired senior personnel executive Lionel Vital, who flew in from Dallas to meet them.

Wentz and Goff would be considered options for the fourth overall pick if the Cowboys went after a quarterback.

Dez on schedule

Receiver Dez Bryant is on schedule in his rehab following off-season surgery, and he’s motivated to have a big return next season.

“I’m doing good,” Bryant said. “I’ve got a chip on my shoulder. It’s going to be good.”

Bryant was limited to nine games last season after breaking his right foot in the season opener. He had surgery last September to have a screw implanted in his foot, and again after the season when he had a bone graft and bone chips removed from his ankle.

He caught a career-low 31 passes for 401 yards and three touchdowns while the Cowboys finished 4-12.

Bryant missed the entire off-season in a contract dispute and then the majority of training camp with a strained hamstring.

Garrett believes last season’s experience will be a source of growth and inspiration for Bryant.

“I think we all grow and learn from the success we have and the adversity we have. Dez is no different,” Garrett said.

The Dallas Cowboys owner talks about signing the former Washington Redskins running back and how he'll fit into the offense.

Related stories from Fort Worth Star Telegram

  Comments