Dallas Cowboys quarterback Tony Romo and his National Fantasy Football Convention have no plans to back down on their lawsuit against the NFL for tortious interference in the canceling of last year’s event.
Romo and his partners are asking for more than $1 million from the league.
Not only are the two sides heading to court in Dallas on Monday for a hearing on a summary judgment on the NFL’s motion to dismiss the suit, but the lawyers for the NFFC have filed paperwork to depose league commissioner Roger Goodell.
The NFL has filed a motion to block Goodell’s deposition.
Sign Up and Save
Get six months of free digital access to the Star-Telegram
“We hope to find out from the very person solely in charge of enforcing the gambling policy,” said lawyer Michael Hurst, who along with Julie Pettit, is representing the NFFC. “We want to know what his position is and why the NFL has taken inconsistent positions in the past.”
A hearing has yet to be set on whether the NFFC lawyers will be allowed to question Goodell.
That will likely come after a decision is made at Monday’s hearing on the summary judgment.
The NFL forced Romo and the NFFC to cancel last year’s event at the Sands Expo, because the facility is attached to the Venetian Resort Hotel Casino. The NFL warned players who were scheduled to participate they would be violating the league’s policy about attending events at gambling venues.
The NFFC says the league’s gambling rules are broad and ambiguous. They also say the league is inconsistent in how they approach gambling.
New England Patriots tight end Rob Gronkowski chartered a party on a cruise ship last weekend with open displays of gambling.
The Oakland Raiders recently met with officials from the same Sands casino company about helping them build a stadium in Las Vegas.