Dallas Cowboys quarterback Tony Romo will have a CT scan on his twice-fractured left collarbone this coming week to determine whether it needs surgery.
Romo, who missed 12 games in 2014 with the broken collarbone, spoke to reporters Saturday at the grand re-opening of Bowlmor Lanes in Addison.
Romo could have surgery to have a small plate put in the collarbone in hopes of decreasing the chance of it breaking again. If he does, it’s all about Romo doing everything he can to make sure he can return to the field and stay on the field in 2016 and beyond.
The Cowboys went 4-12 in 2015, including a 1-11 mark without him in the lineup.
Premium content for only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.
I just need to do everything in my power to make sure I’m on that football field.
Cowboys quarterback Tony Romo
“We have a pretty good idea, but we’re going to get a CT scan here this coming week and then make all the choices from there,” Romo said. “I think we know which way we’re siding and some of the things. We’ve had exhaustive discussions about it. It’s going to be good. It’s about being there for your teammates. I know what I mean to our team. I just need to do everything in my power to make sure I’m on that football field.”
The more Romo talked about the collarbone, even calling the injury a freak thing, the more it seemed like he was leaning towards the surgery.
“The collarbone is a freak thing and that happens,” Romo said. “We are going to do things that will allow us to make sure that doesn’t happen again.”
Romo initially fractured the collarbone in the second game of the season against the Philadelphia Eagles on Sept. 20. He missed seven games, all losses by the Cowboys, before returning a 24-14 victory against the Miami Dolphins Nov. 22.
Romo refractured the collarbone in a 33-14 loss to the Carolina Panthers on Thanksgiving Day.
Romo, however, made it clear that his collarbone feels fine and has gotten stronger since the end of the season.
Romo said he is actually ahead of schedule when it comes to the off-season.
“It’s doing good,” Romo said. “As you get removed from the season a little bit, it’s gotten stronger and stronger, so it’s been good here the last couple of weeks just getting ramped up with some of the workouts.
I’ve been able to go harder in the last three weeks than I have the previous six months, so I’m getting excited about that.
“I’ve been able to go harder in the last three weeks than I have the previous six months, so I’m getting excited about that. I kind of wish that training camp was coming up. But for me, I already had an off-season almost during the year, so I feel as though I’ll be ready to rock for OTAs.”
Romo plans to return in 2016 better than ever in hopes of helping the Cowboys reclaim the Super Bowl dreams with which they entered 2015.
While there remains a lot of talk about the Cowboys drafting a quarterback with the fourth overall pick in 2016 NFL Draft, he has no plans of walking away any time soon.
Romo, who will turn 36 in April, said his surgically repaired back is stronger than it’s been in years and doesn’t see it as a problem going forward.
My back is not going to keep me out. That was a struggle a couple of years ago. It’s as strong as it’s been in three or four years.
“There is no question I will able able to play for a while,” Romo said. “My back is not going to keep me out. That was a struggle a couple of years ago. It’s as strong as it’s been in three or four years.
“That’s exciting because you don’t know that when you first go through some of the back troubles early on and have surgery, you don’t know how it’s going to come out, but I’m seeing a very strong side to it now where I’m able to do things that I wasn’t able to do even last year. That’s exciting to me.
“I feel like the joke is, I’ve said it before, as everyone else is getting older, I’m getting younger. You just got to go out and do it and prove it.
“I think next year you’ll see a little bit different Dallas Cowboys team.”