Being cut by the Dallas Cowboys last month hasn’t seemed to serve as a wake-up call for Joseph Randle.
The former Cowboys running back is still making negative headlines for off-field issues, making a court appearance in Kansas on Thursday for an incident at a casino on Nov. 24.
It’s another in a long list of legal troubles that ultimately led to Randle being cut by the Cowboys on Nov. 4, and then suspended by the NFL for four games for violating its personal conduct policy.
Randle's four-game suspension ends Sunday, but he could face further discipline for the casino incident from the NFL should he try to resume his football career.
Digital Access For Only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.
That Randle has gone from starting NFL running back to out the league in a matter of weeks is has saddened coach Jason Garrett.
“Absolutely. Joe is someone who was a good player for us, someone, like all of our players, you take great pride in trying to help them develop, both as a person and as a player,” Garrett said. “We have all hands on deck with every player that we have. As a coaching staff, support staff, we all have the same objective, bring out the best in all of these guys as players and as people.
“Sometimes you do a better job with certain guys than with other guys, and they respond to the environment we created. Ultimately, the decisions we make are in the best interests of the Dallas Cowboys.”
When the Cowboys released Randle last month, they made it clear that they would still try and support him as best they could even though he wasn’t a member of the team anymore.
“We felt like this was in the best interest of our team, we felt like we had to make this decision, but at the same time the support staff is still in place and the relationships are still in place,” Garrett said. “You want to make sure you continue to help guys work through any issues they might have.”
The 23-year-old Randle became belligerent on the night of Nov. 24 at the casino according to court documents, and it escalated into a physical altercation with officers.
He was formally charged with four misdemeanors at the Sumner County (Kan.)] Courthouse on Thursday – two counts of disorderly conduct, one count of criminal trespass and one count of interference with a law enforcement officer.
Randle appeared without a lawyer, but the judge has granted him 30 days to do so. A preliminary hearing has been scheduled for Jan. 7.
Randle had his share of legal issues in his time with the Cowboys. In October 2014, he was arrested for shoplifting at a Frisco mall. Last February, he was arrested in his hometown of Wichita for marijuana possession, and also investigated for an alleged domestic violence incident.
The Cowboys stuck by Randle through it all, and he went into the season projected to be the team's top running back. But he didn't flourish as expected, rushing for 313 yards on 76 carries with four touchdowns over six starts.