Defensive end Jeremy Mincey won over the Cowboys and their fans for his relentless and unselfish play last year.
In explaining his holdout of training camp upon reporting Sunday, Mincey said it was his duty to fight for his family just as he would for his teammates.
Mincey reported to camp Saturday night after missing the first three days of workouts and got his contract reworked to his satisfaction on Sunday after a long discussion with vice president Stephen Jones.
Per a source, the Cowboys added $500,000 to his 2015 base salary of $1.5 million and he will make $2 million this season.
“If I can fight for my teammates, it’s a no-brainer for me to fight for my family,” Mincey said. “It was just one of those things that somebody has to be brave enough to do what they have do for their family. I’m glad I took a stand and we got good results and I’m here now. Everything is great.”
Mincey didn’t get the two-year extension he was seeking, but the Cowboys waived the $90,000 in fines he racked up from missing the first three days of workouts.
“We’re all good. We’re ready to play ball,” Jones said. “No one ever likes the business of football. The fans don’t like to hear about it, the players don’t like it. I don’t blame them, unfortunately it’s a part of it. But Jeremy obviously was concerned about his business, I respect that. But he made a good decision to come in here and we got everything worked out to everybody’s satisfaction.”
Mincey, 31, who led the Cowboys with six sacks last season, watched practice on Sunday. He will do some individual drills on Monday, which is the Cowboys’ day off before joining the team for workouts on Tuesday.
Mincey wants it clear he never wavered in his dedication to the Cowboys or his commitment to the team. He grew up a Cowboys fans and only wanted long-term security here. He is in the final year of a two-year deal that he signed in 2014.
The two sides will continue to talk about a contract extension, if not during the season then after the season.
“It’s clear that I want to be a Cowboy,” Mincey said. “All I wanted was to be here longer. You get tired of your kids switching schools and going from city to city. I have done that. I didn’t want to do it anymore. I grew up a Cowboys fans as a kid. I’m just happy to be a Cowboy again.”
Bryant, Patmon fight
Dez Bryant threw his mouthpiece, and then a left hook, toward cornerback Tyler Patmon during a prolonged and heated practice fight Sunday.
The scuffle lasted about five minutes and Bryant didn’t calm down until quarterback Tony Romo intervened.
Afterward, the two Oklahoma State products hugged.
“Oh man, just two great competitors going at it,” said Bryant, who left the field initially without comment before coming back to talk about the incident.
“We were chirping a little bit back and forth early in practice. At the end of the day, that’s what you want. I got a little overheated. But at the end of the day, that’s something you really need on a team to try to win ballgames.”
Afterward, Patmon repeatedly declared it over, saying it’s all in the family.
“It’s just brothers fight,” Patmon said. “That happens sometimes. We got at it. After that, we squash it, and it’s over.”
Bryant admitted he had been talking quite a bit of trash to Patmon throughout the day, particularly on the play before the fight broke out.
It carried over to the following play in which Jason Witten caught a pass from Romo. That’s when it all broke loose and, at one point, the fans started booing Bryant, who wouldn’t stop going after Patmon.
“He wasn’t going to back down; I wasn’t going to back down,” Bryant said. “At the end of the day, you’ve seen us. We shook hands; we hugged; we respect one another.
“You have to like it. You don’t want somebody weak on your team. That’s why Patmon is here. Patmon was undrafted, and you know he is fighting his way, and he is fighting for respect, and he’s got mine. You can go to war with a guy like that any day of the week.”