Dallas Cowboys

Cowboys DE DeMarcus Lawrence awaits season, not for Jerry Jones to speak out on racism

Unlike his teammate Gerald McCoy, Dallas Cowboys defensive end DeMarcus Lawrence is not waiting to hear owner Jerry Jones weigh in on the social justice movement and ongoing protests in the wake of George Floyd’s death in Minneapolis.

Others are demanding that Jones speak up by denouncing racism, especially in light of his opposition to peaceful protests during the national anthem and NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell’s admission that the NFL mishandled them.

Lawrence says the situation is not about Jones.

“This whole situation has nothing to do with Jerry or anybody in Jerry’s position,” Lawrence said. “This is about us coming together and focusing on how we can make a change and how we can come together and be united. I don’t see how one man in Jerry’s position or any of those types positions can make a change.

“The only thing they can do is give us money to make a change. What kind of help do we need from Jerry: we need to stand on our own two feet, be the man we are supposed to be and build foundations and build centers to help our youth.”

Lawrence’s words came during a rally and car caravan parade Saturday in Fort Worth in support of 93-year-old Opal Lee’s quest to make Juneteenth a national holiday.

They came after McCoy, who is in his first year with the Cowboys, criticized Jones’ silence on the issues for consecutive days on multiple ESPN platforms.

“At this point it’s bigger than football,” McCoy said in a discussion on police brutality and Floyd on “First Take” on Friday. “We need him to speak up about life. This is about human beings and equal rights. And that’s not what’s happening. And it would be great to hear him say something. Anything.”

“It don’t look good,” McCoy continued. “It doesn’t look good. You can’t be silent at a time like this. I’m new to the Cowboys organization. I’m blessed to be a part of this organization. When things are not going well for the team, you can hear him screaming.

“Well, this is life. This is bigger than just football, it’s bigger than money, it’s bigger than winning a Super Bowl. Something needs to be said. Because of his level of who he is and how many people listen to him, that’s why I’m saying it. Everybody doesn’t have to speak up. I’m not saying everybody has to say anything. If you want to be silent, that’s fine. But the level of who he is? Yeah. I think something needs to be said.”

But Lawrence is committed to working for the cause. He is not concerned about needing Jones’ voice or help.

“This problem is too big to fix with one man,” the Pro Bowler said. “It has to be the whole country standing up together. It has to be more celebrities, more athletes, more people in power to impact our youth and make sure we make change at the bottom first.

Lawrence doesn’t plan to protest during the anthem in the fall, contrary to the plans of many players across the league who have already promised to kneel and make a renewed emphasis on highlighting police brutality against people of color. That is not Lawrence’s focus.

“Protesting is not going to help change anything,” Lawrence said. “The real thing to do is focus on our youth. Help our youth understand our struggle and our history. Help our youth understand that they can be more than the position they are placed in.”

Lawrence came to Fort Worth after speaking with Lee earlier in the week as he received an education on Juneteenth himself.

Lee started a campaign to walk to Washington, D.C., in 2016 and relaunched it in 2019 to bring awareness to the fact that there is support for the Juneteenth holiday all across this nation.

On Friday, the activist continued that fight by marching 2.5 miles down West Lancaster Avenue — a distanced symbolizing the 2.5 years it took for slaves in Texas to realize they had been freed after the Emancipation Proclamation.

Lawrence was in a line of more than 150 cars that followed her lead as she marched from the Fort Worth Convention Center to a parking lot near Will Rogers Memorial Center.

“It is just testament to her story and what she has been through and helping young guys like me understand what kind of fight we have to go through and get ready for,” Lawrence said.

This off-season has been all about growth and life lessons for Lawrence because of the coronavirus pandemic and the NFL shutdown of team facilities. It has forced the Cowboys to prepare for the season virtually, while allowing Lawrence to channel his energies to community endeavors.

But make no mistake about it, Lawrence can’t wait for football to return.

“I am just ready to hit somebody,” Lawrence said. “This game means a lot to me. Not just about the game. But what the game brings to you mentally and physically. Just being able to play football also helps me understand what type of role I am supposed to have in my community here in Texas and South Carolina where I am originally from.

“With COVID-19 coming out, it put everything on hold. Now you have all this time to prepare. ... It also gives us more time to take on different tasks we wouldn’t be able to take on while we’re in the season.”

Like hang out with the legendary Opal Lee.

Clarence E. Hill Jr.
Fort Worth Star-Telegram
Clarence E. Hill Jr. covered the Dallas Cowboys as a beat writer/columnist for the Fort Worth Star-Telegram from 1997 to 2024.
Get unlimited digital access
#ReadLocal

Try 1 month for $1

CLAIM OFFER