Don’t rule Cowboys receiver Dez Bryant out for this Sunday’s game against Cincinnati, owner Jerry Jones said during his weekly radio show on 105.3 The Fan.
Bryant has been diagnosed with a hairline fracture in his right knee, which sidelined him for last Sunday’s game in San Francisco. He did not practice all of last week, and it’s unknown how much he’ll be able to practice this week.
But Jones made it clear that Bryant could play.
Sign Up and Save
Get six months of free digital access to the Star-Telegram
“I wouldn’t rule him out against Cincinnati,” Jones said. “[Our medical staff] said when he can push off, he can play, then he’s ready to go. He’s not going to exacerbate that injury.
“So, I think it’s strictly up to how he gets out. If he can do some work this week, then that might mean he can do more on Friday. If he can do that kind of thing, then he might be in line.”
Bryant had 11 catches for 150 yards and one TD in the first three games. He had only one catch for eight yards in the season opener, but had a 100-yard receiving game at Washington in Week 2 and caught his first TD of the season against Chicago in Week 3.
Bryant injured his knee early in the Chicago game, but returned. He then created a stir when he missed two scheduled MRI exams early last week, as well as at least three team meetings.
Bryant eventually underwent the MRI on Wednesday, and has been listed “day-to-day” ever since.
A report on Sunday stating that Bryant had missed or been tardy to 20-40 meetings in his career with the Cowboys didn’t sit well with Bryant or Cowboys brass. Jones reiterated that on Tuesday.
“What’s ridiculous is anybody would venture a number of meetings [missed] because nobody knows that,” Jones said. “I don’t know it. Nobody in our organization knows it. He’s been here seven years. There’s meetings, several a day, so missed, late, all of that is not of concern to me.”
Jones then pointed out that the Cowboys were aware of Bryant’s behavior and his proneness to be late when they handed him a five-year, $70 million deal with $45 million guaranteed going into the 2015 season.
“To the extent in a way I’m the one who gave him this multi-million dollar agreement to play for the Cowboys into the future,” Jones said. “If I thought that was a problem, he wouldn’t have gotten that.”