Corey Ragsdale was promoted to the Texas Rangers’ field coordinator roving instructor position and Jim Presley and Greg Hibbard joined the Triple A Round Rock staff as the club announced a slew of minor league staff positions on Thursday.
All but two staff spots in the system remained unfilled — the High A High Desert manager and a trainer position for Short A Spokane.
Longtime Rangers farmhand Guilder Rodriguez, who retired at the end of the 2015 season, was named a coach in the Dominican Republic.
Digital Access For Only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.
Ragsdale managed Low A Hickory to a South Atlantic League title in 2015 and spent five seasons as a coach or manager in the organization. Longtime Double A Frisco pitching coach Jeff Andrews was named assistant pitching coordinator. Kenny Holmberg, who last managed the Arizona Rangers, was promoted to infield coordinator, also a roving instructor role.
Triple A Round Rock’s new hitting coach Jim Presley has 12 seasons of major league hitting coach experience with the Diamondbacks, Marlins and Orioles.
Presley and Hibbard are the new hitting and pitching coaches, respectively, at Round Rock. Presley has 12 seasons of major league hitting coach experience with the Arizona Diamondbacks, Miami Marlins and Baltimore Orioles.
Hibbard spent 15 seasons in the Indians’ system as a pitching instructor, including the past two seasons at the Short-Season level with Mahoning Valley. Jason Wood returns for his second season as the Round Rock manager.
In other moves:
▪ Manager Spike Owen was promoted from High Desert to Hickory.
▪ Matt Siegel, who spent three years as a TCU assistant, will manage the Arizona Rangers. Siegel comes to the organization from the University of Arizona staff.
▪ Pitching coaches promoted up a level were: Steve Mintz (Frisco), Oscar Marin (High Desert), Jose Jaimes (Hickory), Brian Shouse (Spokane) and Henderson Lugo (Arizona).
▪ Hitting coach Kenny Hook was promoted to Spokane from Arizona. Aaron Levin joins Bobby Rose on the High Desert staff.
▪ Carlos Cardoza replaces Levin as the Dominican Summer League Rangers manager. He joined the club in July.
▪ Jason Roberts was promoted to medical coordinator after seven seasons as the Round Rock trainer.
▪ Former Hickory trainer Sean Fields was named rehab coordinator. Chris Olson was named assistant medical and rehab coordinator after a stint with the Marlins.
▪ Brandon Boyd has been promoted to home clubhouse and equipment manager, replacing Hoggy Price, who is becoming assistant vice president of business operations.
Stefan Stevenson, 817-390-7760