The awards keep stacking up for Mansfield Lake Ridge quarterback Jett Duffey.
The senior was named Class 5A offensive player of the year by the Associated Press on Wednesday.
Duffey, who was also named first-team quarterback, finished the regular season with 1,648 yards passing and 20 touchdowns, and added 1,019 yards and 12 scores on the ground. He has committed to play at Texas Tech.
Lake Ridge linebacker Jack Lechman and defensive back Arnold Azunna were both named to the second team.
“It’s a tremendous honor for the kids,” Lake Ridge coach Kirk Thor said. “They’ve worked so hard.”
“Jack has had a tremendous senior year — he’s kind of the foundation of our defense. Arnold is the same way — very well-deserving, good football player and a great kid. And I’m very proud of both kids.”
The award for Duffey comes two days after he was given the 2015 Landry Award for the top football player in North Texas. Lake Ridge (15-0) meets Richmond George Ranch (15-0) at 8 p.m. Friday at NRG Stadium in Houston for the Class 5A Division I championship.
“Jett is a competitor, level-headed,” Thor said. “He’ll be the first to tell you he has a great offensive line and all the players around him.”
Saginaw senior defensive back Frank Honang and Fort Worth South Hills junior receiver Tylan Wallace also made the first team — making it the first time both schools were represented on the AP all-state first team.
“Huge honor to have a player on first team that’s representing your school,” Saginaw coach Mike Peters said. “Well-deserved, and not only a good football player but a great kid and hard worker.”
Honang wrapped up the regular season with 178 tackles, three forced fumbles, two interceptions and seven pass breakups.
“In a coaching career, you don’t get too many players that come through with that type of caliber, and Frank will be very difficult to replace,” Peters said.
Wallace, who was also named District 7-5A Offensive MVP, had 53 receptions for 1,313 yards and 19 touchdowns. He had seven games of 100 yards receiving, five with at least 150 yards and one 200-yard performance.
“Tylan works his tail off. Nice to recognize a young man’s hard work,” South Hills coach J.J. Resendez said. “He’ll be working out in the summer, running routes, catching passes, doing what he needs to do to get to the next level.
“World-class athlete, and I think he’s the best receiver in the state. Can’t talk enough about his work ethic, and it’s nice to see the accolades you feel they deserved. It’s good for the school, the community and good for Tylan.”
Other area players selected to the first team were Aledo OL Wes Harris and LB Larry Brown, and Mansfield Summit K Josue Munoz and DL Chris Radford.
– HOLTON GREENFIELD, Austin Vandegrift, Jr. – 93 percent grade, 39 pancakes, 67 knockdown blocks, 2 sacks allowed
– DARREN HARRIS, Temple, Sr. – 96 percent grade, 72 knockdowns, allowed one sack for offense that averaged 477 yds/gm
– WES HARRIS, Aledo, Jr. – 37 pancakes, 86 percent grade, no sacks allowed
– DYLAN ORHT, Victoria West, Sr. – 95 percent grade, 101 pancakes, no sacks allowed
– GRANT POLLEY, Denton, Jr. – 128 knockdowns, 92 percent grade, no sacks allowed
– STEVEN WAGONER, Denison, Sr. – 103-1,533, 18 TDs
– TYLAN WALLACE, FW South Hills, Jr. – 53-1,313, 19 TDs
– JETT DUFFEY, Mansfield Lake Ridge, Sr. – 95-155-1,648, 20 TDs passing, 3 INTs; 98-1,019, 12 TDs rushing
– ENO BENJAMIN, Wylie East, Jr. – 306-2,141, 30 TDs
– TRAVIS BRANNAN, Austin Vandegrift, Sr. – 198-1,706, 24 TDs rushing; 5 TDs receiving
– XAVIER SCOTT, Denton, Sr. – 305-2,251, 28 TDs
– JOSUE MUNOZ III, Mansfield Summit, Jr. - 11-15 FGs, long of 52, 48-51 PATs, 38 kickoffs in end zone
Offensive Player of the Year: Jett Duffey, Mansfield Lake Ridge
– SETH GARCIA, Edcouch-Elsa, Jr. – 137 tackles, 16 sacks, 25 TFL
– TAQUON GRAHAM, Temple, Jr. – 50 tackles, 23 TFL, 11.5 sacks, 3 FF
– CHRIS RADFORD, Mansfield Summit, Sr. – 54 tackles, 20 TFL, 4 sacks, 2 FF
– MARVIN TERRY, Dallas South Oak Cliff, Sr. - 89 tackles, 15 sacks, 24 TFL, 2 FF
– TREVON BROOKS, Lancaster, Sr. - 122 tackles (77 solo), 23 TFL, 8 sacks, 1 INT, 1 def. TD, 10 FF, 3 FR, 3 PBU
– LARRY BROWN, Aledo, Sr. – 125 tackles, 4 sacks, 3 INTs, 10 TFL, 3 FF, 2 FR
– JAYLON WOOTEN, Dallas South Oak Cliff, Jr. - 111 tackles, 14 sacks, 15 TFL, 3 INT, 3 PBU
– AMERON DEAN, Longview, Sr. – 32 tackles, 6 PBU, 5 INTs, 3 blocked punts
– ROGER FRAGA, Laredo Nixon, Sr. – 61 tackles, 2 TFL, 8 INTs
– FRANK HONANG, Saginaw, Sr. – 178 tackles, 4 TFL, 3 FF, 2 INTs, 7 PBU
– DEE JOHNSON, Mesquite Poteet, Sr. – 27 tackles, 5 INTs, 2 FR, 2 TDss, 2 blocked kicks, 7 PBU
– JORDAN LAWLESS, Lindale, Sr. – 44 punts, 40.4 avg., 15 inside the 20
Defensive Player of the Year: Trevon Brooks, Lancaster
– Myles Adams, Mansfield Summit, Sr.; Kyle Ardoin, Port Neches-Groves, Sr.; Troy Bilman, Donna, Sr.; Jon Mayweather, Houston North Forest, Sr.; Nico Russolillo, Frisco Heritage, Sr.; Michael Shogbonyo, Mansfield Summit, Sr.; Jermaine Townsend, Temple, Sr.
– Keegan Brewer, Lake Dallas, Sr.; Brannon Bullitt, EP Chapin, Sr.
– Cade Dyal, Kerrville Tivy, Sr.
– Mulbah Car, Austin Reagan, Sr.; Kierre Crossley, Everman, Sr.; Jorge Gutierrez, Brownsville Porter, Sr.
– Grant Carlson, Fort Bend Ridge Point, Sr.
– Aaron Evans, CC Miller, Sr.; Demerick Gary, Dallas Kimball, Sr.; Jair Jordan, SA Sam Houston; Jack McAdams, Aledo, Sr.
– Jack Lechman, Mansfield Lake Ridge, Sr.; Mac McCaskill, Cedar Park, Sr.; Fabricio Quintanilla, Mercedes, Sr.
– Arnold Azunna, Mansfield Lake Ridge, Sr.; JuAnthony Parker, Dallas South Oak Cliff, Sr.; Prince Robinson, Houston North Forest, Sr.; Vernon Scott, Mansfield Summit, Sr.
– Jacob Brammer, Richmond Foster, Jr.
HONORABLE MENTION OFFENSE
LINEMEN: Jack Anderson, Frisco; Ryan Becker, Marble Falls; Parker Braun, Hallsville; Travis Bruffy, Fort Bend Ridge Point; Jared Cantu, Edcouch-Elsa; Kade Clapper, Georgetown; Tim Clay, Longview; Barton Clement, Fort Bend Marshall; Benjamin Cohen, SA Alamo Heights; Alex Costilla, San Marcos; Elijah Duane, Cedar Park; Harper Geracci, Cedar Park Vista Ridge; Zach Gipson, Longview; Clay Greathouse, WF Rider; Adrian Harris, Tyler; Jake Helton, Austin Vandegrift; Ernest Martinez, Wylie East; Kevin Massey, Houston North Forest; Chance McLeod, Victoria East; Jack Merrill, Cedar Park; Keenan Murphy, Crosby; Juan Ramirez, Roma; Jorge Rios, Port Lavaca Calhoun; John Runberg, Canyon; Elijah Sanchez, Edcouch-Elsa; Parker Sorge, WF Rider; William Withers, Gregory-Portland; Jordan Wyatt, Longview.
RECEIVERS/ENDS: Taylor Bissell, Burleson; Chayce Bolli, Boerne Champion; Jaylen Dixon, Frisco Lone Star; Bryce Martinez, Victoria East; Ralphlauren McCauley, Grapevine; Emmanuel Netherly, Crosby; Nathan Rabe, CC Calallen; Paxton Segina, Austin Vandegrift; Nathan Stewart, Dallas Adams; Robert Tovar, Mission Veterans; T.J. Vasher, WF Rider.
QUARTERBACKS: Cody Brewer, CC Flour Bluff; Bryson Gipson, Tyler; Josh Green, Boerne Champion; Preston Paden, Burleson; Gunnar Palacios, Canyon; Bowman Sells, Lucas Lovejoy; Jason Shelley, Frisco Lone Star; Luke Skipper, Forney.
RUNNING BACKS: Idrees Ali, Frisco; Josh Avila, Somerset; Khalil Banks, The Colony; Amonte Bowen, Donna; Matt Collier, SA Southside; Carandal Hale, Greenville; Geovani Manning, North Dallas; Blaine Monroe, Gregory-Portland; B.J. Rainford, Fort Bend Ridge Point; Anthony Pegues, Frisco Centennial; Paul Terry, Canyon Randall; Dawonya Tucker, Terrell; J'kardi Witcher, Texarkana Texas.
KICKERS: Luiz Diaz, Georgetown; Hunter Elder, Victoria West; Cody Jenkins, Longview; Jordan Lawless, Lindale; Connor Martin, Frisco Centennial; Angel Quiroga, Bryan; Ryan Reid, Burleson Centennial.
HONORABLE MENTION DEFENSE
LINEMEN: Kelvin Apari, Frisco Lone Star; Noah Blomberg, Magnolia; Jacobi Brewer, Texarkana Texas; Mark Brown, FW Arlington Heights; Jayden Drisdale, College Station A&M Consolidated; Jaylen Hutchings, Forney; Jorge Ibarra, Donna; Demondre Lauderdale, FW Arlington Heights; Pierre Leonard, Tyler; Bronson Massie, Lufkin; Jay Mobley, Cedar Park Vista Ridge; Amere Morris, Lindale; Michael Nash, Wichita Falls; Paco Ortiz, Dumas; Camerion Pumphrey, FW South Hills; Jake Ray, Frisco Lone Star; Alex Roman, Marble Falls; Kade Satterwhite, Canyon Randall; Khevon Shepard, Brenham; Kybrian Sheridan, Longview; Brenden Solete, Cedar Park; Rollie Tatum, Gregory-Portland; Moneeb Ullah, CC Calallen; Hal Vinson, Dallas South Oak Cliff.
LINEBACKERS: Roger Adame III, Mercedes; Sammy Alaniz, Edcouch-Elsa; Zach Barrientos, Mesquite Poteet; Jeremiah Chambers, Cedar Park Vista Ridge; Bryson Davis, Longview; Derek Ditto, Dumas; Garrett Grammer, Richmond Foster; Michael Harmon, Houston North Forest; Corban James, FW Arlington Heights; Raul Lucio, Laredo Martin; Corey Mann, Temple; Colton Oberthier, Hallsville; Eric Oliva, Laredo Nixon; RJ Phillips, Cedar Park Vista Ridge; Johnny Roa, FW South Hills; Augustine Tambe, Cedar Park; Vicente Terrones, Laredo Cigarroa; Jacobi Watkins, SA Sam Houston; Haden Willis, Magnolia; Trey Wooten, Dallas Adamson.
DEFENSIVE BACKS: Darrien Campos, Abilene Cooper; Ja'Quavion Daniels, Terrell; Bryston Gipson, Tyler; Jav Guidry, Cedar Park; Jakob Heins, Cedar Park; Kalani Ibara, CC Calallen; Gary King, Dallas South Oak Cliff; Peter Ledesma, Laredo Nixon; Logan LeJeune, Port Neches-Groves; Kevin Liebano, Mission Veterans; Zac Leigh, Victoria East; Jonavan Lopez, Alice; Chris Miller, Frisco Lone Star; Blake Perez, Gregory-Portland; Rajah Preciado, College Station; Noe Rodriguez, Edcouch-Elsa; Vernon Scott, Mansfield Summit; Shyler Staton, Fort Bend Ridge Point; Ty Thomas, Lubbock Cooper; Jerry Wrightner, Texarkana Texas.
PUNTERS: Reed Bowman, Magnolia; Cody Jenkins, Longview; Connor Martin, Frisco Centennial; Culver Sumner, Austin Vandegrift.