High School Sports

What’s next for the boys basketball season after UIL suspends state tournament play

In the wake of the coronavirus outbreak, the UIL came to the decision of suspending the boys basketball state tournament on Thursday at the Alamodome.

The decision was made during halftime of the third game on Thursday between Dallas Madison and Coldspring-Oakhurst. The suspension went into effect after the fourth game between Peaster and San Antonio Cole.

UIL Deputy Director Dr. Jamey Harrison spoke to the media following the final game.

“This was a painful decision for us. We felt it was the best interest of everyone involved. For the past several weeks, we’ve been in regular contact with the Texas Education Agency (TEA) and other state and local agencies,” Harrison said.

The UIL was the latest sporting event to cancel or suspend play.

The NCAA canceled its winter and spring championships. The NBA suspended play for at least 30 days.

But what does this mean for the UIL moving forward?

Mansfield Timberview (defending champ) and San Antonio Wagner were set for a state title rematch at 7 p.m. Thursday.

Lancaster, the top-ranked team in Class 5A, was scheduled to play No. 2 Hightower at 8:30 p.m.

“Unfortunately we reached a point where we felt suspending the tournament was the best for all involved,” Harrison said. “We realized making these decisions weren’t the most convenient for the communities supporting these teams and the state tournament fans in general, but we did the best we could do to help keep our great state healthy.”

Will the tournament resume?

“We are working around the clock to develop a contingency plan,” Harrison said. “I will tell you, it is our goal, it is our hope, it is our intention to complete this tournament at some point in the future. It’s our intention to complete our other state championships, who has seasons not completed so far.

“Once we have those contingency plans better complete and we hope it’s in the near future, we’ll communicate to schools on how we can address the rest of the school year and rest of the seasons. We don’t know what will happen next. This is an unprecedented event and has escalated at a pace that is just different than anything else we’ve experienced in the past.”

Starting back up

Harrison said there’s no date in mind, if the UIL were to resume the tournament. It could be a week, it could be a month.

“Anytime from here and next season is free game,” Harrison said.

Harrison also said that while a return to the Alamodome is ideal, there is no telling where the venue could be.

“It’s too early to make a prediction, but I can tell you, we’d love to bring them back to the Alamodome and give them the full experience,” he said. “Those kids have earned that.”

School districts in Dallas-Fort Worth have either suspended athletic activity or extended spring break, or both. It includes McKinney, Frisco, Dallas and Plano. Parts of Mansfield have canceled activity this weekend while Northwest, Arlington, Carroll and Eagle-Mountain Saginaw ISD will make a decision on Friday.

This story was originally published March 13, 2020 at 5:30 AM.

Related Stories from Fort Worth Star-Telegram
Get unlimited digital access
#ReadLocal

Try 1 month for $1

CLAIM OFFER