Letters to the Editor

Lonesome Dove; summer critters; drafting women

Lonesome Dove actor Barry Tubb, Ed Bass, Betsy Price and actor Barry Corbin, behind Price, cut the rope to open a museum exhibit amid the Lonesome Dove Trailhead "Rope" Cutting ceremony at the Sid Richardson Museum in Fort Worth, Texas's Sundance Square, Friday, Jan. 15, 2016. The event kicks off a six-month city-wide celebration of author Larry McMurtry's novel, which came out 30 years ago this year, and the subsequent miniseries.
Lonesome Dove actor Barry Tubb, Ed Bass, Betsy Price and actor Barry Corbin, behind Price, cut the rope to open a museum exhibit amid the Lonesome Dove Trailhead "Rope" Cutting ceremony at the Sid Richardson Museum in Fort Worth, Texas's Sundance Square, Friday, Jan. 15, 2016. The event kicks off a six-month city-wide celebration of author Larry McMurtry's novel, which came out 30 years ago this year, and the subsequent miniseries. Star-Telegram archives

Lonesome Dove

On Sunday, Fort Worth bid farewell to Gus and Captain Call and the Lonesome Dove Reunion and Trail.

Thanks to Mayor Betsy Price’s vision, our community has had numerous opportunities this spring to enjoy treasures from the Lonesome Dove Collection, permanently held at the Wittliff Collections at Texas State University in San Marcos.

TSU, the Fort Worth Convention & Visitors Bureau and generous sponsors and partners brought the beloved western Lonesome Dove to our city via exhibits, screenings and panel discussions with cast and crew. The Trail featured costumes, props and photographs from the Lonesome Dove Production Archive.

The Sid Richardson Museum in Sundance Square was the Trail’s kickoff site and host for the exhibition, Lonesome Dove: The Art of Story. More than 27,000 visitors from 50 states and 24 countries traced the path of Lonesome Dove, from Larry McMurtry’s Pulitzer Prize-winning novel to the movie script. They also explored the American West through Frederic Remington and Charles Russell artworks, a cowboy’s cattle-drive diary, and objects from the Lonesome Dove archives.

The Trail continues at the Old Jail Art Center in Albany, Texas, through July 23. It’ll be worth the ride!

Mary E. Burke, director, Sid Richardson Museum, Fort Worth

Summer critters

As a public service, could the paper please offer information regarding the critters that we can anticipate encountering with the already pressing heat and drying conditions?

I had my first encounter with a western (Texas) rat snake. My home is deep in the heart of suburbia, which, I must say, caused me to assume (albeit wrongly) that such encounters cannot occur.

However, walking out my back door and being startled by this 3-foot-plus snake has forced me to think again about this.

Anything that speaks to what we might expect with the hot, dry conditions, as well as local resources, would be greatly appreciated.

James Langford,

North Richland Hills

Drafting women

The Friday letter requesting Sen. John Cornyn to amend the National Defense Authorization Act to eliminate drafting women has a problem.

Since 1945, the combat arms soldiers have comprised approximately 32 percent of the fighting force, leaving the remaining 68 percent in logistics, life support and administration.

While those fields aren’t completely danger-free, it’s safe to say they’re not the tip of the spear either.

Getting drafted is not a ticket to the infantry.

It’s a chance to serve your country in an important role.

Giving women the opportunity to serve equally according to their desires and abilities is a basic human right.

Stop discriminating.

Jeff Murray,

Weatherford

  Comments