Politics & Government

Pro sports leagues can have some fans at outdoor events in Texas amid coronavirus

Editor’s note: This story has been updated to include additional comments.

Under a revised order from the state, professional sports leagues may have a limited number of fans at outdoor events in Texas amid the novel coronavirus’ outbreak.

Earlier this month, when Gov. Greg Abbott announced pro sports may resume May 31 there was one big caveat: no in-person spectators allowed.

However, on May 22, a revised proclamation was issued to allow spectators at outdoor events up to 25% of the venue’s capacity, and new guidance was posted on the governor’s “Strike Force to Open Texas” webpage detailing health and safety measures leagues should consider. Fans are still prohibited at indoor venues.

At the time, Abbott had not publicly announced the revision — which came four days after his initial announcement that professional basketball, baseball, auto racing, football, golf, softball and tennis leagues may resume events.

John Wittman, a spokesman for Abbott, said Thursday that the allowance for fans was unanimously approved by the medical team advising Abbott on reopening Texas.

“It was brought up again in another call with the doctors, and the medical team said that they could move forward with 25% capacity,” Wittman said.

Abbott told KEYE-TV in Austin Thursday night that having talked to league officials, outdoor stadiums can employ strategies that facilitate social distancing.

“In these large outdoor stadiums, spacing can be done in a way that’s very consistent with the spacing already authorized for churches and for movie theaters, with the difference being that it’s outdoors,” Abbott said.

Before events can resume, each league must submit a plan to the Texas Department of State Health Services. However plans don’t have to be approved Wittman said, and it will depend on the sport whether the league or individual teams will be tasked with submitting plans to the state.

“Whether the league will, or whether they’ll have individual organizations submit it, or whatever it may be — that will be something that would be worked out on their end,” Wittman said.

Regular testing, screening of employees and players and social distancing are among some of the guidelines leagues should follow.

“Each plan must incorporate these minimum health protocols to the greatest extent possible,” the checklist notes.

While athletes aren’t required to wear a face mask while playing, the state’s guidance recommends they should wear a face covering while waiting on the bench or in the dugout. And when staying at least six feet apart is not feasible, physical barriers, face coverings or face shields should be considered. Equipment and facilities should also be regularly disinfected between uses.

Despite the allowance for spectators, fans may not be back in the stands soon.

After a delayed start, the IndyCar season is set to begin Saturday, June 6, at the Texas Motor Speedway in Fort Worth. Track president Eddie Gossage said in a statement Thursday that there’s too many unknowns to allow fans to attend on such short notice.

“Nobody wants to have the stands filled with fans more than me, but we’re just not in a position to do that yet,” Gossage said. “While the state will permit us to operate at 25% of capacity, there are still too many unanswered questions for an event that is just one week away.”

However, Gossage noted that the season-opening Genesys 300 race was moved to NBC for a primetime Saturday night broadcast so it could reach a wider audience.

“That shows what a big deal this race is to the entire country,” he said.

With the Charles Schwab Challenge set to begin at Colonial Country Club the week of June 8, a PGA Tour spokesman said Thursday that “our focus right now” is hosting the event with no fans. The PGA Tour previously announced a layered testing approach for players and had said fans would not be able to attend.

John Blake, a spokesman for the Texas Rangers, wrote in an email Thursday that the team is awaiting MLB guidance and that the health and safety of players, staff and fans is its top priority.

“The Texas Rangers are looking forward to the potential of returning to play in 2020. Major League Baseball and the Major League Baseball Players Association are having ongoing discussions about that possibility at the present time, and the Rangers have begun operational planning for if and when we have a spring training and regular season games at Globe Life Field,” Blake wrote.

The Dallas Cowboys have yet to comment on their plans for the season but they will follow NFL protocols and procedures. And right now they plan on having fans in the stands for the 2020 season.

“We’re planning for full stadiums until the medical community tells us otherwise,” NFL executive Troy Vincent told NBC Sports last weekend. “Now, remember when we’re talking. We’re talking about September … August, September. So, there’s a lot that can happen here. So, we’re planning for full stadiums.”

Again, anything is possible and everything is on the table and being considered, according to Vincent.

“We also know we have to plan for half stadiums,” Vincent added. “Three quarters. So, we’re planning for all those different scenarios. But first and foremost, we’re making every effort working with the medical community, if we can have those stadiums with all people, until they tell us otherwise when that time comes, that’s our plan. That’s our plan of action.”

AT&T Stadium will host graduation ceremonies with the roof open for the Arlington school district next weekend. The next major scheduled event after that is the Cowboys preseason home opener Aug. 22 against the Baltimore Ravens.

Abbott said the order would not extend to professional sports teams that played indoors, such as the Dallas Mavericks and Dallas Stars. It would be unlikely for American Airlines Center to host any basketball game until next season as the NBA is moving forward with a plan to play out the remainder of its season at ESPN Wide Sports of Sports complex at Disney World outside of Orlando. The NHL, meanwhile, has said their league will move straight to an expanded postseason tournament at two of 10 hub cities across North America. The league has announced Dallas is finalist, but that is all that has been disclosed at this time.

The order did not address college football or high school sports. Previously, Abbott told Austin television station KXAN that he expects the college football season will start on time, with at least some fans in the stands. And even if a limited number of fans were allowed for college football, some season-ticket holders may be left out of TCU football games in the fall.

Recreational sports leagues, youth sports and outdoor motorsports have also been permitted to resume under Abbott’s phased reopening of Texas businesses.

Staff writers Drew Davison, Mac Engel, Clarence E. Hill Jr. and Jeff Wilson contributed to this story.

This story was originally published May 28, 2020 at 11:59 AM.

Related Stories from Fort Worth Star-Telegram
Tessa Weinberg
Fort Worth Star-Telegram
Tessa Weinberg was a state government reporter for the Fort Worth Star-Telegram.
Mac Engel
Fort Worth Star-Telegram
Mac Engel is an award-winning columnist who has covered sports since the dawn of man; Cowboys, TCU, Stars, Rangers, Mavericks, etc. Olympics. Movies. Concerts. Books. He combines dry wit with 1st-person reporting to complement an annoying personality. Support my work with a digital subscription
Get unlimited digital access
#ReadLocal

Try 1 month for $1

CLAIM OFFER