Former Keller school board president resigns to run for another office
Keller school board trustee Charles Randklev announced Wednesday morning that he is resigning to run for City Council.
Randklev was the school board president when news broke in January that he and four other board members were planning to split the district along U.S. 377 in an effort to save money.
Randklev, who was serving his second term, posted about his resignation on Facebook. He took office in 2021, and his term was to expire in November 2027. The remaining board members may fill Randklev’s vacancy by appointment or through a special election, according to board policy.
“Keller is where we live, work, and serve, and where our family has built relationships that mean so much to us,” Randklev said in his post.
“My commitment remains the same: I’m focused on families, fiscal responsibility, common-sense leadership, and the values that make our community strong. This isn’t stepping away; it’s stepping forward, where together we can make a greater impact.
“Keller deserves leaders who are proven, principled, and steady in the moments that matter. I’ve shown that leadership, and I’m ready to continue it.”
Randklev’s resignation comes at a time when the Keller City Council is facing a vacancy after Mayor Armin Mizani announced his candidacy as a Republican for Texas House District 98.
John Birt was elected the board’s new president in May after two new members took their seats on the school board.
Residents overwhelmingly spoke out against the split plan during board meetings in January and February. The proposal prompted state legislation, lawsuits, criminal complaints and a student walkout. Tracy Johnson resigned as superintendent following the January meeting in which she said through tears that she did not agree with the split.
The plan was abandoned in March when Randklev and Cory Wilson, who was interim superintendent at the time, announced that the district did not have the resources to split the debt.
Representatives of the Heritage Homeowners Association in far north Fort Worth have sued to remove Randklev, Birt and vice president Heather Washington, alleging they violated the Texas Open Meetings Act and Keller ISD board policy when they privately discussed and took other steps in connection with the proposed split last year. “Our goal is to restore public trust in the KISD Board through legal remedies,” said Cary Moon, a member of the Heritage Legal Task Force and former Fort Worth city council member. “These efforts are a legal matter, not a political matter. We remain steadfast and will hold the Rump Board accountable.”
The lawsuit was transferred to Johnson County in July, and on Monday a judge appointed Johnson County District Attorney Timothy M. Good to represent the state of Texas in the case.
Brewer Storefront, the Dallas-based law firm that has sued the school district alleging its at-large election system violates the Voting Rights Act of 1965, said in a statement Thursday that the “growing support” for its lawsuit reflects a community demanding fairness in its elections.
“Mr. Randklev’s resignation underscores the instability created by at-large voting and the urgent need to adopt cumulative voting. Keller ISD should see this moment as a wake-up call — an opportunity to embrace change and rebuild public trust,” said William A. Brewer III, a partner at the Brewer Storefront, the pro bono affiliate of Brewer, Attorneys and Counselors.
This story was originally published December 10, 2025 at 1:15 PM.