Fort Worth

Tarrant County Jail temporarily loses state certification after inmate death

The Tarrant County Jail’s state certification was revoked for six days this month following the death of an inmate, according to a state official.

“They were found to have not conducted 30 minute face-to-face observation checks, which are required in certain areas of the jail,” Brandon Wood, executive director of the Texas Commission on Jail Standards, said on Wednesday.

The investigation was sparked after the death of someone in custody. Wood declined to provide details on the death that sparked the investigation, but on April 26, the sheriff’s office said that an inmate died by suicide.

Wood said the jail submitted a plan of action outlining how it would resolve the issue almost immediately after having its certification revoked. The jail was re-certified on Wednesday, Wood said. Certification means jails are meeting minimum standards. Failure to do so could lead to fines.

Wood also said the state is investigating an incident that occurred on May 18. He declined to say what the investigation was about, but officials at the Tarrant County Jail said an inmate gave birth on that date without anyone knowing.

The woman didn’t “immediately disclose the birth, but the baby was soon discovered by a corrections officer,” Tarrant County Sheriff’s Office Lt. Jennifer Gabbert said in an email on Wednesday.

Gabbert and the sheriff’s chief of staff did not return an email seeking comment about the jail’s certification being revoked.

The baby was taken to Cook Children’s Hospital. The woman has been jailed since her January arrest. She is charged with assault on a family member, Gabbert said.

Gabbert didn’t release any more details on how the woman gave birth without anyone noticing. She didn’t immediately respond to a series of questions from the Star-Telegram.

Gabbert said there is “no indication of misconduct at this time” by jailers, but said an investigation is ongoing.

Asked if the birth had anything to do with the certification being revoked, Wood said no.

This story was originally published May 27, 2020 at 1:26 PM.

Nichole Manna
Fort Worth Star-Telegram
Nichole Manna was an award-winning investigative reporter for the Fort Worth Star-Telegram from 2018 to 2023, focusing on criminal justice. Previously, she was a reporter at newspapers in Tennessee, North Carolina, Nebraska and Kansas. She is on Twitter: @NicholeManna
Get unlimited digital access
#ReadLocal

Try 1 month for $1

CLAIM OFFER