Fort Worth

Fort Worth father arrested in fatal beating of 2-year-old son

Demarcus T. Taylor, 25, stands accused of capital murder in connection with the death of his 2-year-old son, Kamron.
Demarcus T. Taylor, 25, stands accused of capital murder in connection with the death of his 2-year-old son, Kamron. Courtesy

A Fort Worth man was arrested Thursday afternoon on a capital murder warrant, accused of fatally injuring his 2-year-old son last month, then not seeking help for the unresponsive boy for more than four hours.

Court documents allege Demarcus Trishun Taylor sent a message on April 22 to his girlfriend via Facebook, telling her that his son, Kamron Tremon Taylor, was unresponsive and not acting normal — and even sent her a video of the injured boy.

About four and a half hours after getting the message, Taylor’s girlfriend arrived home at their apartment the 3200 block of Polo Club Drive North and called 911.

The toddler was taken by ambulance to Cook Children’s Medical Center in Fort Worth, where medical personnel determined he had suffered a skull fracture and burns to his lower body.

He also had healing rib fractures, grab marks on his forearm, belt or similar patterned marks across his back and a bruise under his left eye, according to an arrest warrant affidavit.

Kamron died two days later, on April 24, from what the Tarrant County medical examiner later determined was blunt force trauma of the head, the affidavit states.

Taylor, who turns 25 on Friday, was arrested by fugitive officers in south Fort Worth on a capital murder warrant. The recommended bond on the warrant was set at $1.5 million.

Father’s account changed

Kamron had been living with his father and the father’s girlfriend for at least a month before he was injured, according to the affidavit.

When interviewed on the day his son was hospitalized, Taylor told crimes against children Detective B.S. Banes that he had been home alone with Kamron all day and saw the boy urinate on the living room floor.

He said he had scolded Kamron and told him to get in a corner when the boy suddenly collapsed on the carpet and became unresponsive. He then put the boy in the tub and turned on the shower to attempt to revive him, unintentionally running hot water over the boy’s body for about 20 seconds before realizing it, according to the affidavit.

Taylor said he then placed a diaper on the boy and put him in bed. He told Banes that the child was unconscious for about an hour.

“At one point, Demarcus noticed Kamron not breathing and he touched him and he started breathing again,” the affidavit states Taylor told the investigator. “Demarcus stated he did not think Kamron was injured bad enough to call 911.”

Taylor also told the detective that his phone didn’t work, he didn’t know his neighbors, and that he didn’t have a landline telephone.

Interviewed a second time that day, Taylor admitted that he’d left some details out in his first interview. He told the detective that after Kamron peed on the floor, he picked the boy up by his ankles and beat him across the back with a belt, the affidavit states.

He told Banes that as he was hitting Kamron, the struggling boy hit his head on the floor.

“Demarcus said Kamron immediately became unresponsive from that point forward,” the affidavit states.

Girlfriend’s account

In an April 28 interview, Taylor’s girlfriend told Banes that she had been at work when Taylor began sending her Facebook messages via her cellphone about Kamron being unresponsive, even sending her a video.

The girlfriend gave police consent to to access her Facebook account, where investigators found Taylor had first sent her a message about Kamron not acting normal at 12:18 p.m.

The girlfriend called 911 at 4:50 p.m. upon arriving home, the affidavit states.

“Kamron was unresponsive for at least four and a half hours,” Banes wrote in the affidavit. “This is inconsistent with Demarcus’ claim that Kamron was unresponsive for only one hour.”

The girlfriend told police that Taylor told her he did not call 911 because he had warrants out for his arrest.

Tarrant County court records show Taylor was charged in July with theft of property out of Fort Worth. In January, his bond was forfeited and a warrant was issued for his arrest after he failed to appear at a pre-trial hearing.

The girlfriend also told investigators that the couple deleted their Facebook accounts upon arriving home from the hospital on April 22, the affidavit states.

Marissa Gonzales, a spokeswoman with Child Protective Services, said the agency had a previous history with the family, which is currently under review by the Office of Child Safety.

The Office of Child Safety, formed in September 2014 by Texas Department of Family and Protective Services’ Commissioner John Specia, reviews serious and fatal child abuse and neglect cases to look for patterns and any issues in the system.

Deanna Boyd, 817-390-7655

Twitter: @deannaboyd