Fort Worth

Suspect in high-speed Fort Worth chase was wanted on several warrants, police say

The suspect who led police on a high-speed chase through Fort Worth on Wednesday morning was wanted on several felony warrants, police said.

The man, identified in jail records as Juan Castillo, is a 25-year-old Fort Worth resident. He was wearing a bright red jumpsuit when SWAT officers pulled him from a red car that police said was associated with several felony warrants.

He was the only occupant of the vehicle, police said.

Castillo had a parole violation for aggravated assault with a deadly weapon in Tarrant County from a September incident and a warrant for evading arrest in Tarrant County last month, police Sgt. Chris Britt said in a news conference.

It was unknown shortly after his arrest whether he was the owner of the car.

“Supervisors on scene advised they think this guy was involved in an evading incident again last night, where he ran from some officers,” Britt said, adding that there will be charges from the pursuit as well.

There were no injuries in the pursuit, in which Britt confirmed that Castillo drove through parking lots and on sidewalks at times.

The chase began shortly after 10 a.m. in the 2100 block of Mistletoe Avenue on the near southside of Fort Worth when police responded to a call about a suspicious person.

Castillo was sleeping in a car, police said.

When he woke up, he saw a police officer and drove away.

Patrol officers joined by troopers with the Texas Department of Public Safety chased Castillo through south, north and west Fort Worth at speeds at times reaching more than 90 mph.

Britt said that at one point Castillo hit a DPS vehicle with his car.

Police pursued Castillo aggressively because he was deemed to be a significant threat to the public, Britt said.

After he stopped at the intersection of Jacksboro Highway and Northwest Loop 820, Castillo refused to get out of the car for more than an hour.

Police used a drone to examine the inside of the car, with large SWAT vehicles blocking it in front and back.

“Apparently this individual decided he wasn’t going to win today and just chose to give up,” Britt said.

He was taken into custody without further incident just after noon.

Related stories from Fort Worth Star Telegram

Stephen English covers breaking news for the Star-Telegram. He attended Texas Wesleyan University and has lived in the Dallas-Fort Worth area for more than 30 years.