Fort Worth

Cops: Ex-Varsity Tavern bouncer — an MMA fighter — drove 2 drunken women home, raped them

Cops: Varsity Tavern bouncer — an MMA fighter — drove 2 drunk women home, raped them

Abdul “Razak” Alhassan, a former bouncer at the Varsity Tavern, has been indicted on a sexual assault charge. He is accused of driving two intoxicated women home from the bar in March, then raping both women inside one of their homes.
Up Next
Abdul “Razak” Alhassan, a former bouncer at the Varsity Tavern, has been indicted on a sexual assault charge. He is accused of driving two intoxicated women home from the bar in March, then raping both women inside one of their homes.

Caution: This report contains graphic descriptions of sexual abuse allegations.

A former bouncer at the Varsity Tavern has been indicted on a sexual assault charge, accused of driving two intoxicated women home from the bar in March, then raping both women inside one of their homes.

Abdul “Razak” Alhassan, who also has a career as a mixed martial arts fighter, has been free on a $20,000 bond since his arrest in April.

A Tarrant County grand jury handed down the two-count indictment against the 33-year-old Alhassan on Monday, court records show.

The two accusers — friends who are ages 20 and 22 — reported the sexual assaults to Fort Worth police on March 24 and March 25 after going to John Peter Smith Hospital for sexual assault exams.

The investigation was later taken over by Saginaw police after a preliminary investigation revealed the alleged sexual assaults took place at one of the women’s homes in Saginaw.

The 22-year-old woman told investigators that she was so out of it that she didn’t remember anything about the night of the alleged assault.

Her younger friend told police that she remembers Alhassan forcefully raping, then sexually assaulting her friend.

Alhassan, who is from Ghana, is 5-foot-10, weighs 170 pounds and has a black belt in judo, according to the Ultimate Fighting Championship. He has competed professionally since 2013 and won as recently as Sept. 8, according to a video on the UFC website.

Jesse Fonseca, general manager of the Varsity Tavern, said Tuesday that Alhassan quit months ago.

“He said he had some personal stuff to go through and that was it,” Fonseca said.

Fonseca said he only recently learned about the sexual assault case against Alhassan and did not wish to comment about the allegations.

Brandon Barnett, who is representing Alhassan with attorney Daniel Hagood, declined to comment Tuesday.

The allegations

According to an arrest warrant affidavit, the two women had gone to the Varsity Tavern on or about March 23 to celebrate the birthday of a friend, a Fort Worth police officer who sometimes worked security at the club.

Varsity Tavern 7
The Varsity Tavern in Fort Worth Max Faulkner

There, the 22-year-old woman asked Alhassan, who was head of security for the bar, if he could get them into the bar even though her friend was only 20, the affidavit states.

The 20-year-old woman told Saginaw investigators that Alhassan allowed them to enter the club through the VIP entrance, but told her 22-year-old friend “he wanted her phone number in return for the favor.”

The 22-year-old woman gave the bouncer her number and the two friends then went inside and consumed a lot of alcohol, the younger woman told investigators.

The 20-year-old said she later lost sight of her friend but found her inside a dark utility closet on the second floor with Alhassan. The younger woman told Saginaw police that Alhassan was all over her friend and that the two appeared to be making out.

She told police she got her friend out of the closet and that the woman “appeared to be wasted and did not remember what was going on,” the affidavit states.

The younger woman told investigators she remembered later that night arriving at her Saginaw home, where she lives with her parents, and Alhassan carrying her friend into her bedroom.

“She said the defendant laid (the first woman) on the bed and she believed the defendant had left the residence,” the affidavit states. “She said she went into the kitchen to get a drink and when she returned the defendant was standing in the corner of her bedroom.”

The 20-year-old said Alhassan then grabbed her from behind, shoved her face first into the bed, “holding her down and removing the spandex shorts she had on under her dress,” the affidavit states.

She said he then raped her, according to the affidavit.

The 20-year-old told police that afterward, Alhassan moved over to her friend, removed the woman’s panties and raped her.

The 20-year-old woman told police “she did not scream during the assault on her because her face was pushed into the bed. She also said she did not scream or try to help (the 22-year-old woman) after the defendant began assaulting her because she was so intoxicated she was still out of it and was trying to piece together what was going on as it was occurring,” the affidavit states.

After Alhassan left the house, the 20-year-old told police that she woke up her mother to tell her that something was wrong with her friend.

The mother told police that her daughter had called her when she came home to ask if she could open the door because she didn’t have her keys. She said her daughter told her that they were OK and that a bouncer from the bar had brought them home because they were too intoxicated to drive and she was going to help her 22-year-old friend inside.

The mother said she went back to bed but was later awakened by her daughter, who was crying and saying that something was wrong with her friend.

The mother said she went into her daughter’s bedroom to find the 22-year-old friend on the bed, vomiting and with her panties on inside out and with both legs in one leg hole. The mother told police that both her daughter and the friend were very intoxicated and not making much sense.

The mother told police she found a used condom on top of the purse belonging to her daughter’s friend and placed it, along with the friend’s panties, inside a plastic zip bag. The items were later turned over to Fort Worth police, the affidavit states.

Fort Worth police were dispatched to John Peter Smith Hospital on March 24 in reference to the alleged sexual assault of the 22-year-old victim. They were called back the next day to the hospital after the 20-year-old woman reported that she had been raped too, the affidavit states.

The 20-year-old’s mother told Saginaw investigators that as her daughter sobered up, she began to remember more about what had happened, including that she had been sexually assaulted.

The officer celebrating his birthday that night told a Fort Worth detective that he had danced with one of the victims that night. He said the women had then disappeared for the rest of the night until closing time when they called him. He said one of the victims was found in the bar’s alley.

The officer told investigators that the bouncer, whom he knew as Razak, told him that he simply took the victims to their car.

“He said the defendant told him her friend took care of them from there,” the affidavit states.

Request for bond condition changes

One of Alhassan’s attorneys, Hagood, filed a motion in May requesting that the judge modify Alhassan’s bond conditions to remove the requirements that he wear a GPS monitor and that he be restricted from traveling outside of Tarrant County without court approval.

In his motion, Hagood argued that Alhassan “has achieved notable success in the MMA fighting realm and has come to depend on his MMA career as his main source of income.”

He said the GPS monitor prohibits Alhassan from fighting in matches or even practicing and training for fights. The monitor also does not allow him to submerge himself in a swimming pool or hot tub, which Hagood calls “integral” to Alhassan’s training and physical therapy.

“The Defendant fully comprehends the severity of the charges against him and does not make this request of the Court lightly,” Hagood wrote. “However, if he is not able to have the GPS monitor removed, he will lose the MMA career that he has diligently worked towards for many years, and perhaps even more importantly, he will be unable to support himself without the income from that career, which he relies upon.”

The judge agreed to let Alhassan remove his GPS monitor for fights and training, but only when outside of Tarrant County, officials say.

Varsity Tavern made headlines earlier this year over racial discrimination allegations.

Multiple people told the Star-Telegram in April that they believed they were denied entry or saw someone else denied entry into the bar because of their race but under the guise of a dress code.

The city of Fort Worth has since launched an investigation into the complaints under its anti-discrimination ordinance.

Sam Sayed, a DFW native, filed the first formal public accommodations complaint regarding Varsity Tavern for alleged discrimination based on race after his friend Stephen, a black man from New York, was turned away from the bar for wearing Jordans.


Related stories from Fort Worth Star Telegram