Fort Worth

Mentally ill son admitted to stabbing mom more than 50 times, police say

A man is accused of stabbing his mother to death Monday afternoon in the 7500 block of Gleneagles Way.
A man is accused of stabbing his mother to death Monday afternoon in the 7500 block of Gleneagles Way.

Paul Raymond LaBar was away from home when his wife called late Monday afternoon, telling him to come home because she’d been injured.

Then the line went dead.

The 61-year-old Fort Worth man called back but it was his 26-year-old son, Paul Robert LaBar, who answered. He asked his son to put his mother back on the line, but the son told him he didn’t want his father to speak with her.

In the background, Paul Raymond LaBar would later tell police, he could hear his wife, Lauren LaBar, pleading for help before the line went dead again.

Upon arriving at the family’s home in the 7500 block of Gleneagles Way, Paul Raymond LaBar found his 57-year-old wife bleeding in the kitchen. Before losing consciousness, a fatally injured Lauren LaBar was able to tell him that their son had continued to stab her after the last phone call.

In an interview with homicide detectives, the son, Paul Robert LaBar, confessed to hitting his mother in the back of the head with a metal object, then stabbing her more than 50 times when she didn’t die.

On Tuesday — after Lauren LaBar’s death late Monday at Texas Health Harris Methodist Hospital Fort Worth from stab wounds to her head and body — detectives obtained a murder warrant for her son.

Paul Robert LaBar remained held in the Mansfield jail Tuesday. Recommended bail on the warrant is set at $250,000.

Though police would not comment on the suspected motive behind the stabbing, court documents indicate Paul Robert LaBar had a history of mental illness.

In his 911 call on Monday evening, Paul Raymond LaBar told dispatchers that his son had mental disorders and was schizophrenic.

He also told dispatchers that his son no longer had the knife and “was just staring at him,” according to the arrest warrant affidavit, written by homicide Detective Tom O’Brien.

Court records also show that LaBar had previously been convicted of misdemeanor assault for punching and choking his father on May 22, 2013.

According to an arrest warrant affidavit from the 2013 case, Paul Raymond LaBar told officers he was trying to stop an argument over a video game between Paul Robert LaBar, then 22, and his younger son when he was attacked.

The father later told a detective assigned to the case that his son was on medication for mental health issues but refused to take it and, as a result, had anger issues.

Court records show Paul Robert LaBar was later accepted into the Mental Health Court Diversion Program, designed to divert mentally impaired offenders out of the traditional criminal justice system and into treatment.

His enrollment in the program, however, was later revoked and in July 2014, he was convicted of misdemeanor assault of a family member and sentenced to 90 days in jail and a $372 fine.

Rafael Sears contributed to this report.


At 3:15 a.m. Friday, two suspects robbed the 7-Eleven on 5910 Singleton Boulevard. At 4:30 a.m. the same night, the suspects also hit the Sunshine Food Mart at 3943 South Cockrell Hill Road and shot and killed an employee. Anyone with information