Dallas

With 5 new coronavirus cases, gatherings of more than 500 people banned in Dallas County

Note: The Fort Worth Star-Telegram and McClatchy news sites have lifted the paywall on our websites for this developing story, ensuring this critical information is available for all readers. For more coverage, subscribe to our daily coronavirus newsletter .

Community gatherings of more than 500 people have been banned in Dallas County, as authorities Thursday night issued a local state of disaster in an effort to contain the spread of the coronavirus.

There have been five new “presumptive positive” cases of the coronavirus in Dallas County, including one case believed to be caused by “community spread,” county Judge Clay Jenkins said during a news conference Thursday night. That means the individual contracted the virus because of the spread within the area rather than travel.

The new cases include a woman in her 70s, a man in his 40s, a man in his 50s, a man in his 60s and a woman in her 60s, Jenkins said. Two of those people have been hospitalized and the rest are self-quarantining at home.

A total of eight cases had been reported in Dallas County as of Thursday, and a ninth case was reported Friday.

As part of the local state of disaster declaration, county officials recommended that no more than 250 people gather at the same time and place. But only organizers of gatherings of twice that many people will be subject to a citation.

The decision to ban large gatherings, contained in a disaster declaration, was intended to limit the virus’ spread, Jenkins said.

The Dallas Auto Show, scheduled next week at the city’s convention center, is among the events in the county that were expected to draw at least 500 people at once.

This story was originally published March 12, 2020 at 10:56 PM with the headline "With 5 new coronavirus cases, gatherings of more than 500 people banned in Dallas County."

Related Stories from Fort Worth Star-Telegram
Emerson Clarridge
Fort Worth Star-Telegram
Emerson Clarridge covers crime and other breaking news for the Fort Worth Star-Telegram. He works days and reports on law enforcement affairs in Tarrant County. He previously was a reporter at the Omaha World-Herald and the Observer-Dispatch in Utica, New York.
Get unlimited digital access
#ReadLocal

Try 1 month for $1

CLAIM OFFER