Fort Worth school board set to name lone finalist for district superintendent’s position
After months of forums, questionnaires and interviews, the Fort Worth school board will announce a sole finalist on Tuesday for the role of superintendent.
A special meeting is scheduled for 5:30 p.m. at the FWISD Teaching and Learning Center, 1050 Bridgewood Drive.
Once the announcement is made, the candidate will enter a 21-day waiting period before they can officially take the role. The board selected Deputy Superintendent Karen Molinar to serve as an interim leader in the meantime after superintendent Kent Scribner vacates the role on Sept. 1.
Scribner announced in January he would leave at the end of his contract in 2024, then he said in March he would leave in August.
Scribner told the Star-Telegram at the time he decided to resign after discussing it with his wife and deciding that 20 years as a superintendent was “plenty.”
During the last board meeting, where a finalist was initially slated to be announced, Scribner said “the best days for Fort Worth ISD lie ahead.”
“The last seven years has been the high point of my of my career both personally and professionally,” he said. “I understand the board’s been working very, very hard to select the next leader, who I will be 100% supportive of moving forward and provide whatever support he or she asks for. “
Board members presented the outgoing leader with a framed picture of him with the board.
Departure comes amid exodus of school leaders
The departure of Scribner, who joined the district in 2015 after leading the Phoenix Union High School District for about eight years, comes amid an enduring barrage of criticism from parents who have appeared at every school board meeting for the last year.
Scribner is one of at least nine North Texas superintendents to step down in recent months, with many citing the culture wars that have consumed the process of governing school districts.
The educator has spoken out against critics of critical race theory, calling the controversy a “manufactured crisis” by a “small, loud group who comes every other Tuesday night.”
On the first day of school earlier this month, Scribner told the Star-Telegram that he was concerned about the attacks on education.
“I think public education in general has been under attack,” he said. “I think that at the national level, you’re seeing a challenge to democracy. I think the focus on attacking school districts and public schools is part of that and I think we as a society need to really take a second look and determine whether or not we’re going to play into that narrative or stand for what’s right.”
Kent Scribner will be paid through 2023
Starting Aug. 31, Scribner will be given the title of district ambassador for public relations, but will be placed on “school related leave” with pay and benefits through Feb. 28, 2023, according a copy of the agreement to release Scribner from his contract obtained by the Star-Telegram.
He will be paid his full salary and benefits through Feb. 28.
According to the joint agreement voted on in March, he will step down as superintendent on Aug. 31.
The agreement, approved unanimously by the board, includes two payments totaling $509,827 for his continued work with the district. He’ll also get paid by Aug. 31, $63,250 for unused sick leave, vacation days and personal leave, at a rate of $1,375 a day, minus any of that paid time off he uses before then, according to the agreement.
He’ll be under the direct supervision of the next superintendent. Scribner’s pay will be the same as during his time as superintendent.
The meeting will be televised by EdTV, the District’s TV station, on the Fort Worth school district’s YouTube channel, Spectrum/Charter Cable Channel 192, AT&T U-Verse 99 and via live streaming video on the District Website’s Video on Demand.
This report includes content from Star-Telegram archives.