Details released on what led to man shooting Arlington cop before being shot himself

Arlington police give updates on officer shot

Arlington police Lt. Cris Cook provided details on the condition of an officer who was shot and the events leading up to the shooting, during which a suspect was fatally shot.
Up Next
Arlington police Lt. Cris Cook provided details on the condition of an officer who was shot and the events leading up to the shooting, during which a suspect was fatally shot.

Arlington police identified a man suspected of shooting an officer during a traffic stop and gave an update on the officer’s condition Saturday.

Treshun Symone Miller, 20, shot an officer on Friday night while fleeing during a traffic stop, Arlington police said. Officers returned fire and hit Miller, who later died at a hospital.

The officer, who was not identified by police, was shot in the pelvis and was seriously injured, Lt. Christopher Cook said at a news conference Saturday.

On Friday night, an Arlington police officer stopped a black Toyota Corolla when the driver did not use a turn signal. The officer pulled the car over into the parking lot of Tom Thumb, Cook said Saturday.

During the stop, the officer smelled marijuana in the car and requested a backup officer. He asked the driver, Jessica Lee Lawson, to get out of the car so he could conduct a search, Cook said.

A female officer searched Lawson while the other officer walked to the passenger side of the car, where Miller was sitting in the front seat.

Miller was asked to get out of the car, which he did. The officer told Miller to put his hands behind his back and face the car so he could be frisked for weapons. Miller started to back up, pulled away from the officer and started to run away.

Two officers pursued Miller on foot.

Miller pulled out a 9mm handgun, turned and fired multiple rounds at one of the officers, hitting him in the pelvic area, Cook said.

“He immediately falls to the ground. You can tell from the body-worn camera he is in immense pain, kind of screaming out in pain,” Cook said Saturday.

The second officer shot at Miller multiple times, wounding him, Cook said. That officer was placed on routine administrative leave after the shooting.

While the pursuit was going on, a security guard at Tom Thumb helped the female officer at the car watch Lawson and the two men still in the back seat, Cook said.

The officer who was shot is a 17-year veteran with Arlington police and was one of the backup officers who responded, Cook said. He was taken to an Arlington hospital where he remains in serious, but stable, condition, Cook said.

“This is a very serious wound. He is very hurt,” Cook said.

The officer had not had surgery as of Saturday afternoon and doctors were deciding how to proceed, he said.

Miller was first taken to an Arlington hospital and then transferred to Fort Worth, where he was pronounced dead.

Lawson, the driver of the car that was stopped, and the two men in the backseat were not charged and detectives said they were cooperating with the investigation.

Cook said officers found 2.05 ounces of marijuana and digital scales in the car.

Both Miller and Lawson were involved in another shooting together in August 2017.

According to police, 18-year-old London Tyrece Lane shot someone outside Nordstrom at the Frisco mall and Miller drove Lane and Lawson away from the scene, according to police at the time.

Bodycam footage of shooting

Cook said the footage of the shooting “was extremely hard to watch,” seeing the officer on his back and in extreme pain.

“There’s so many unknowns in police work. You don’t go to work thinking you’re going to be involved in a shooting, and you sure don’t go to work thinking ... you might not see your family again,” Cook said.

Cook said the department fully believes “the suspect dictated the outcome here.”

“He decided to flee. He knew he had a firearm on him. He made the decision to discharge the firearm at the officer,” Cook said.

He said when a suspect flees from an officer, it is the officer’s discretion whether to chase or not. He said since the officer smelled marijuana and had reason to believe a “legitimate offense” was taking place, he decided to pursue.

“Almost every officer, including myself, would have chased,” Cook said.

Cook said the department is grateful for the support they’ve received from other departments and citizens.

“If you go to our Twitter account, there are thousands of messages that we’ve received, just from the outpouring of community support,” Cook said. “Particularly, (the officer’s) spouse wanted to recognize that she’s very appreciative. She was, as any spouse would be, completely distraught, overwhelmed when this thing happened, scared to death.”

Related stories from Fort Worth Star Telegram