Man suspected of multiple bank robberies in DFW dies during standoff, police say

. File photo

The suspect in multiple robberies killed himself during a standoff with police in Parker County on Thursday morning, police said.

The man, whose name will be released by police once his family has been notified, shot himself after about an hour of negotiations with the Weatherford-Parker County Special Operations Group, authorities said.

The man is suspected of robbing several banks in the Dallas-Fort Worth area, according to a news release from the Parker County sheriff’s department.

In mid-December, the suspect went into a gas station on North Highway 51 in Springtown and asked for cigarettes, police said. After the clerk gave him the cigarettes, the suspect showed him a gun and demanded money from the clerk.

An accomplice waited outside the store in a silver Nissan Altima, police said.

Investigators found a pair of glasses, a hoodie and ball cap believed to have been worn by the man who robbed the gas station, police said. Police said they believe the items were thrown out of the suspects’ car.

“Our Sheriff’s crime scene technician was able to lift a latent fingerprint from the glasses and traced it back to one of the suspects, who was on federal probation and was also wanted for questioning in connection with multiple Metroplex bank robberies,” Sheriff Larry Fowler said in the news release.

On Thursday morning, an anonymous person told police they saw a car matching the description of the suspect’s vehicle on Country Meadow Drive near Midway Road in Springtown, Fowler said in the news release.

Sheriff’s investigators drove to the man’s home where the property owner allowed them to conduct a search. Officers found the man under covers in bed, where he immediately grabbed a gun and threatened himself, according to authorities.

Members of the Weatherford-Parker County Special Operations Group were summoned to negotiate with him. The sheriff’s department said the suspect refused to cooperate or surrender.

After about an hour, the man shot himself, the news release said.

The Texas Rangers are conducting a routine investigation of the standoff, according to the release.

Kaley Johnson is a breaking news and enterprise reporter. She majored in investigative reporting at the University of Missouri-Columbia and has a passion for bringing readers in-depth, complex stories that will impact their lives. Send your tips via email or Twitter.