Petition asks Lockheed Martin in Fort Worth to shut down in response to coronavirus
Some employees at Lockheed Martin have tested positive for COVID-19, according to an online petition that asks for the plant to shut down.
Jennifer Escobar, who started the petition, said that while the Centers for Disease Control recommend that there be no gatherings over 10 people, Lockheed’s facilities hold more than that number.
“Most of their employees can not work from home due to the nature of their jobs,” she wrote. “I would hate to see this get out of control due to the company’s negligence.”
Lockheed is considered a part of the Essential Critical Infrastructure Workforce.
“Like other citizens who have been asked to continue working at hospitals, pharmacies, urgent care facilities and government offices to support our communities, the Department of Defense and Department of Homeland Security guidance recognizes the unique role the defense industrial base represents to the nation and that we, as the national security workforce, must continue to provide essential capabilities to our military as they carry out their critical missions,” spokesman Ken Ross said.
Ross said Lockheed cannot comment on any potential or confirmed cases of the novel coronavirus among employees.
However, he wrote in an email that “upon learning of probable exposure, a contracted professional cleaning and restoration company sanitizes the employee’s workspace, surrounding work spaces, common areas, and entrances and exits throughout the building.”
Employees with potential exposure to the virus are instructed to work remotely and self-quarantine, he said.
“We have implemented a flexible teleworking policy for employees who can continue the essential work required to meet our commitments to the U.S. government and our key allies around the globe from home,” Ross said.
Lockheed Martin employs more than 18,000 people in Fort Worth.
“We don’t have definitive numbers, but roughly half-to-two-thirds have the ability to and are telecommuting,” he said. “This reduction in the number of people on site provides another type of social distancing and better protects those who cannot do their work remotely.”
Ross said cleaning schedules in the building have been increased, with a high focus on lobbies, restrooms, break rooms and elevators.
The petition had been signed by 2,195 as of Tuesday morning.
“I do not want to bring this virus to my kids home in the event i catch it from being in this incubator of a workplace,” one man wrote. “The bathrooms are not being cleaned as they say, they are still disgusting. We need to be at home!”
This story was originally published April 7, 2020 at 11:59 AM.