▪ Take the kids to the Birds’ Christmas Tree event at 11 a.m. Saturday in the Grove area of the Fort Worth Botanic Garden. Kids bring biodegradable bird treats to hang in the trees during an event that dates to 1935. Find treat recipes at http://tinyurl.com/hwag3gr. For more information, call 817-392-5510 or visit http://fwbg.org.
▪ Bring the kids to a live animal exploration at 2 p.m. Saturday at the River Legacy Living Science Center, 703 N.W. Green Oaks Blvd., Arlington. RSVP to 817-860-6752. On Thursday, 10-11:30 a.m., join the Nature Adventurers for a program on woodpeckers. It’s 15 per child with an adult, $5 for one additional child. The program is for children ages 2 1/2 to 5. Space is limited; call to register. www.riverlegacy.org.
▪ Take the kids to a story time with Michelle Lee of the Fort Worth Library, 1-2 p.m. Saturday, at the Fort Worth Nature Center and Refuge. From 1 to 3 p.m. Sunday, kids and adults can join a hike around the nature center to study plants’ and animals’ winter survival strategies. Maximum 12 participants. Reserve at spot by calling 817-392-7410. 9601 Fossil Ridge Road, Fort Worth. www.fwnaturecenter.org.
▪ Join the Arlington Garden Club for its Christmas potluck, 2:30 p.m. Sunday, at the Fielder House Museum, 1616 W. Abram St., Arlington. For details, email firstname.lastname@example.org or visit Facebook: Garden Club- Arlington TX.
▪ Play birding bingo and more games at the Fort Worth Audubon Society’s 75th anniversary celebration and meeting, 7:30 p.m. Thursday, Dec. 10, at the University of North Texas Health Science Center, Room 114, 3500 Camp Bowie Blvd., Fort Worth. A “Birding in the Galapagos Island” presentation begins at 6:50. More info at www.fwas.org
▪ Get your gardening questions answered with a call to the Tarrant County Master Gardener Association help desk, 817-884-1944. Hours are 8:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m. Monday-Friday.
▪ Johnson County Master Gardeners also answer gardening questions and give advice 9 a.m.-4 p.m. Fridays. Call the Johnson County Extension Office at 817-556-6370 and ask to speak to a master gardener.
Mark your calendar
▪ For Scout Badge Day at the River Legacy Living Science Center, 10 a.m.-2 p.m. Dec. 12. Naturalists will help Scouts complete some or all badge requirements, $10 per Scout. For more information, call 817-860-6752. 703 N.W. Green Oaks Blvd., Arlington. www.riverlegacy.org.
▪ For a free backyard-chickens workshop, 10:30 a.m. Dec. 12, Trinity Haymarket, 1715 Market Center Blvd., Dallas. Light breakfast served at 10 a.m. RSVP to 214-202-2163 or email email@example.com
Send announcements of local home and garden happenings (including retail news) at least two weeks in advance to Places to Go, Features Department, Star-Telegram, Box 1870, Fort Worth, TX 76101, or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Places to Go” in the subject line.