Adam Henrique scored 44 seconds into overtime to give the New Jersey Devils a 2-1 victory over the Dallas Stars on Tuesday night.
Henrique and Kyle Palmieri skated in on Dallas goalie Antti Niemi on a 2-on-1. Palmieri sent a pass from the right side to Henrique at the edge of the left faceoff circle, and Henrique put the puck into the lower left portion of the net.
The game had been tied since Patrick Eaves’ goal for Dallas at 10:33 of the first period.
Damon Severson scored at 7:40 of the first for New Jersey, which won its fifth straight game. Cory Schneider stopped 23 shots.
Niemi made 31 saves, including 16 in the second period.
Dallas fell to 0-5 in overtime this season, and 0-9 going back to last season. The Devils are 4-3 in overtime this season.
Severson scored on a 4-on-2 break after Dallas’ John Klingberg lost the puck at New Jersey’s blue line. PA Parenteau passed from the left side to Severson in the slot, and he put a wrist shot into the upper part of the net.
Eaves tied it on a 2-on-1 break as Antoine Roussel passed from the left faceoff circle to Eaves on the right and Eaves beat Schneider with a wrist shot.
Dallas had a good scoring chance midway through the third period but Lauri Korpikoski’s shot from the top of the left circle went off Schneider’s left foot, between his legs and just wide of the left goalpost.
Two minutes later, New Jersey’s Nick Lappin sent an in-close backhand wide right.
▪ Devils LW Taylor Hall, their scoring leader through 14 games, did not play because of a lower-body injury.
▪ Severson’s goal put him in a tie with Hall for the team lead with 12 points.
▪ Roussel’s first-period assist extended his scoring streak to seven games (three goals, six assists), but his three-game goal-scoring streak ended.
▪ Jason Spezza (lower-body injury) returned, bringing with him 34 points (eight goals, 26 assists) in 34 games against New Jersey.
▪ Dallas showed a video tribute to Devils LW Vernon Fiddler, who played the last five seasons for the Stars.
▪ New Jersey was 0 for 20 on the power play in the previous five games.
▪ Eaves tied Tyler Seguin for the Stars’ team lead with his seventh goal.
First Period—1, New Jersey, Severson 3 (Bennett, Parenteau), 7:40. 2, Dallas, Eaves 7 (Roussel), 10:33. Penalties—Parenteau, NJ, (interference), 18:56.
Second Period—None. Penalties—None.
Third Period—None. Penalties—Johns, DAL, (hooking), 2:05; Zajac, NJ, (boarding), 15:13.
Overtime—3, New Jersey, Henrique 3 (Palmieri), 0:44. Penalties—None.
Shots on Goal—New Jersey 8-16-8-1—33. Dallas 9-7-8—24. Power-play opportunities—New Jersey 0 of 1; Dallas 0 of 2. Goalies—New Jersey, Schneider 7-3-2 (24 shots-23 saves). Dallas, Niemi 3-2-2 (33-31). A—18,039 (18,532). T—2:24. Referees—Mike Leggo, Tim Peel. Linesmen—Darren Gibbs, Pierre Racicot.