Dallas Cowboys quarterback Tony Romo lost his legal battle with the NFL.
A Dallas County district court judge issued a summary judgment in favor of the NFL on all remaining claims filed in the Fan Expo case on Tuesday.
Judge Carl Ginsberg granted the defendants’ motion (the NFL) on the 13 remaining claims from a lawsuit that had been filed in July 2015.
The Fan Expo claimed that the NFL had threatened to fine and “potentially” suspend players if they attended a National Fantasy Football Convention in Las Vegas. Romo served as the headliner for the event.
Digital Access For Only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.
In a statement, the NFL's lead defense counsel from Haynes and Boone said: "We are very pleased by the Court's ruling dismissing all of the NFFC's claims in this case. The Court correctly found that all of NFFC's claims were baseless, confirming that the NFL's actions to protect its right were entirely justified and appropriate."
Romo and the event’s organizers tried to put on a similar event again in July in Pasadena, Calif., but have postponed it. They claim the NFL again interfered with it, this time going after sponsors instead of players.
The NFFC plans to file an appeal.
“We disagree with Judge Ginsberg's ruling. We, along with other trial and appellate lawyers following the case, believe the summary judgment was improperly granted. We will file a Notice of Appeal shortly. This case will simply take a "time-out" while we wait for a decision from the Dallas Court of Appeals,” said Julie Pettit, attorney for the NFFC. “We trust that the Fan Expo case will end up where it belongs _ which is in front of a jury _ so that the NFL is held responsible for its actions. During this "time-out", we are pleased that the Strikes for Kids case will remain open in County Court Law #5, where we believe the facts and issues surrounding the NFL's conduct will be properly adjudicated.”