As a consolation prize for having the best record of the losing NFC team last weekend, the Cowboys coaching staff has an open invite to coach one of the teams at the Pro Bowl.
But with several coaches on expiring contracts, the staff has yet to accept, executive vice president Stephen Jones said. They would like to have the majority of the staff under contract before accepting.
Asked about the staff working the Pro Bowl, Jones said: “That has not been decided. They’re supposed to, but obviously with there being some uncertainty in terms of our staff, we’ve got to see how that goes.”
Coach Jason Garrett and the Cowboys are trying to reach a multi-year extension during an exclusive three-day negotiating window that started Monday. The same can be said for defensive coordinator Rod Marinelli, play-caller Scott Linehan and offensive coordinator/ line coach Bill Callahan.
Premium content for only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.
Jones stated multiple times Monday that he would like to keep the coaching staff in tact, if possible.
The Pro Bowl is scheduled for Jan. 25 at the University of Phoenix Stadium in Phoenix. The Cowboys will have several representatives on hand even without the coaching staff.
Quarterback Tony Romo, running back DeMarco Murray, wide receiver Dez Bryant and offensive linemen Tyron Smith, Travis Frederick and Zack Martin have all been selected.
Murray, who had surgery on his left hand last month but played through it, said he didn’t know if he would participate in the game.
Drew Davison, 817-390-7760