IndyCar announced part of its plans in resuming the delayed Firestone 600 at Texas Motor Speedway on Friday, banning two drivers from returning and updating certain technical aspects when they return to complete the race on Aug. 27.
In a release, the open-wheel racing series said it would not allow Conor Daly or Josef Newgarden to participate in the event. Daly and Newgarden were involved in a scary wreck on Lap 42, and Newgarden had to be airlifted to an area hospital after sustaining a broken collarbone and fractured wrist.
The Firestone 600 is scheduled to resume around 7 p.m. on Aug. 27 for the final 177 laps.
IndyCar explained the two drivers would not be able to resume “due to the extensive chassis and engine damage each sustained in a crash on Lap 42.”
As far as the cars continuing the race, IndyCar said: “They will be permitted to use the chassis and engine of their choice for the completion day. Tire allotment and fuel quantity for the completion are yet to be determined.”
The IndyCar drivers will have a practice session Aug. 27 earlier in the day and an autograph session before completing the race.
The series went on to say that pre-race aero setups from the June event will be mandatory for the August continuation, although that is subject to change based on the weather forecast.
The race is scheduled to resume around 7 p.m. on Aug. 27 for the final 177 laps. James Hinchcliffe is the leader followed by Ryan Hunter-Reay and Mikhail Aleshin.
This is a one-day event for the TMS. The IndyCar drivers will have a practice session earlier in the day and an autograph session on the track’s concourse before completing the race.
Fans who had tickets to the June event can use their tickets for the August event, or exchange them for any Texas race within the next year for equal or lesser value.
TMS is also expected to announce various fan-related items in the coming weeks.